On Campus

Limited on-campus housing is available at the Wako, Tsukuba and Harima campuses.

The Wako campus has both single and family apartments available, but there is a one-year limit on occupancy.

Housing at I-House
Housing at I-House
Housing at I-House
Housing at I-House

I-House at Wako Campus

Housing at the Nishina Lodge
Housing at the Nishina Lodge
Housing at the Nishina Lodge
Housing at the Nishina Lodge

The Nishina Lodge at Wako Campus

RIKEN’s Yokohama facility does not have on-campus housing, but arrangements can be made for short-term accommodation at a nearby facility for international students. Yokohama Institute staff will assist researchers relocating to Japan for full-time work at RIKEN to find long-term accommodation.

In Kobe, RIKEN has an agreement with the city to allow RIKEN employees to rent conveniently located municipal apartments. Of course, a full range of privately maintained apartments and homes are also available, and RIKEN staff are available to assist as needed.

Housing at Harima CAST (thumb)
Housing at Harima CAST (thumb)
Housing at Harima SPring-8 (thumb)

Housing at the RIKEN Harima Center

The SPring-8 complex at Harima includes four apartment buildings for short-term stays, and the nearby Hyogo Prefecture Center for Advanced Technology Support (CAST) also has accommodation facilities that RIKEN researchers may use.

Off Campus

For long-term stays, you will need to seek out off-campus housing. Assistance in finding housing is available at all RIKEN facilities.

Initial costs

When renting housing in Japan, you must be prepared to pay the following initial costs before you move in:

  1. Refundable deposit: Usually one to two months’ rent
  2. Non-refundable payment to the landlord (reikin): Usually one to two months’ rent
  3. Real estate agent fee: Usually one month rent
  4. First month’s rent
  5. Costs of furnishings

In Japan, rental apartments are often not furnished, and you will need to lease or buy such basic necessities as furniture and appliances (sometimes including a cooking stove and refrigerator). Researchers leaving RIKEN often offer such items at very low prices or even for free, for new employees coming in. You may also find what you need in local second-hand shops.


The tenant is responsible for all utilities. Arrangements can be made to have rent and utility bills automatically deducted from your bank account, at no extra cost. Utility bills may also be paid in cash, at convenience stores and banks.