RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Quantum System Theory Research Team
Team Leader: Daniel Loss (Ph.D.)
Quantum System Theory Research Team is working on the quantum theory of condensed matter with a focus on spin and phase coherent phenomena in semiconducting and magnetic nanostructures. In particular, the team investigates the fundamental principles of quantum information processing in the solid state with a focus on spin qubits, superconducting qubits, and Majorana fermions. This involves the study of decoherence in many-body systems and scalable quantum computing architectures based on surface codes and long-distance entanglement schemes. The group also studies nuclear spin phases and many-body effects in low-dimensional systems with spin orbit interaction, and quantum transport of magnetization.
Main Research Field
- Spin and phase-coherent phenomena in semiconducting and magnetic nanostructures
- spin qubits, decoherence, Cooper pair splitter, many-body effects and nuclear spins
- quantum computing and quantum coherence
- Majorana fermions and topological states of matter
Papers with an asterisk(*) are based on research conducted outside of RIKEN.
- * D. Loss and D.P. DiVincenzo:
"Quantum computation with quantum dots"
Phys. Rev. A 57, 120 (1998)
- * M.N. Leuenberger and D. Loss:
"Quantum computing in molecular magnets"
Nature 410, 789 (2001)
- * B. Coish and D. Loss:
"Hyperfine interaction in a quantum dot: Non-Markovian electron spin dynamics"
Phys. Rev. B 70, 195340 (2004)
- * P. Recher, E.V. Sukhorukov, and D. Loss:
"Andreev-Tunneling, Coulomb Blockade, and Resonant Transport of Non-Local Spin-Entangled Electrons"
Phys. Rev. B 63, 165314 (2001)
- * J. Klinovaja, P. Stano, A. Yazdani, and D. Loss:
"Topological Superconductivity and Majorana Fermions in RKKY Systems"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 111, 186805 (2013)
- S. Chesi, Y.-D. Wang, J. Yoneda, T. Otsuka, S. Tarucha, and D. Loss:
"Single-spin manipulation in a double quantum dot in the field of a micromagnet"
Phys. Rev. B 90, 235311 (2014)
- F. Nichele, S. Chesi, S. Hennel, A. Wittmann, Ch. Gerl, W. Wegscheider, D. Loss, T. Ihn, and K. Ensslin:
"Characterization of spin-orbit interactions of GaAs heavy holes using a quantum point contact"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 046801 (2014)
- P. Scarlino, E. Kawakami, P. Stano, M. Shafiei, C. Reichl, W. Wegscheider, and L. M. K. Vandersypen:
"Spin relaxation anisotropy in a GaAs quantum dot"
Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 256802 (2014) (Editor's Suggestion)
- T. Meng, P. Stano, J. Klinovaja, and D. Loss:
"Helical nuclear spin order in a strip of stripes in the Quantum Hall regime"
Eur. Phys. J. B 87, 203 (2014)
- Daniel Loss
- Team Leader
- Peter Stano
- Senior Scientist
- Andrej Gendiar
- Research Scientist
- Guang Yang
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Chen-Hsuan Hsu
- Postdoctoral Researcher