RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
Laboratory for Gut Homeostasis
Team Leader: Kenya Honda (M.D., Ph.D)
The mammalian alimentary tract harbors about a thousand of species of commensal microorganisms that homeostatically interact with the host. Our team is focusing on immunological attributes of the microbiota and trying to identify responsible members of the microbiota and their derived factors that deeply affect the immune system. Our long term goal is to develop a way to manipulate and normalize compositions of the gut microbiota to treat various disease conditions, such as inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and allergy.
Main Research Field
Related Research Fields
- Influences of the gut microbiota on the host immune system
- Identification of previously unidentified gut unique immune cell subsets
- Development of new therapeutic ways to treat IBD, allergy, and cancer by means of manipulation of the gut microbiota
Papers with an asterisk(*) are based on research conducted outside of RIKEN.
- Atarashi K, Tanoue T, Ando M, Kamada N, Nagano Y, Narushima S, Suda W, Imaoka A, Setoyama H, Nagamori T, Ishikawa E, Shima T, Hara T, Kado S, Jinnohara T, Ohno H, Kondo T, Toyooka K, Watanabe E, Yokoyama S, Tokoro S, Mori H, Noguchi Y, Morita H, Ivanov II, Sugiyama T, Nuñez G, Camp JG, Hattori M, Umesaki Y, Honda K.:
“Th17 Cell Induction by Adhesion of Microbes to Intestinal Epithelial Cells.”
Cell 163:367-380. 2015
- Ohnmacht C, Park JH, Cording S, Wing JB, Atarashi K, Obata Y, Gaboriau-Routhiau V, Marques R, Dulauroy S, Fedoseeva M, Busslinger M, Cerf-Bensussan N, Boneca IG, Voehringer D, Hase K, Honda K, Sakaguchi S, Eberl G.:
“The microbiota regulates type 2 immunity through RORγt⁺ T cells.”
- Narushima S, Sugiura Y, Oshima K, Atarashi K, Hattori M, Suematsu M, Honda K. :
“Characterization of the 17 strains of regulatory T cell-inducing human-derived Clostridia.”
Gut Microbes 5:333-339. (2014)
- Atarashi K, Tanoue T, Oshima K, Suda W, Nagano Y, Nishikawa H, Fukuda S, Saito T, Narushima S, Hase K, Kim S, Fritz JV, Wilmes P, Ueha S, Matsushima K, Ohno H, Olle B, Sakaguchi S, Taniguchi T, Morita H, Hattori M, Honda K.:
"Treg induction by a rationally selected mixture of Clostridia strains from the human microbiota."
Nature 500:232-236. (2013)
- Yoshimoto S, Loo TM, Atarashi K, Kanda H, Sato S, Oyadomari S, Iwakura Y, Oshima K, Morita H, Hattori M, Honda K, Ishikawa Y, Hara E, Ohtani N.:
"Obesity-induced gut microbial metabolite promotes liver cancer through senescence secretome."
Nature 499:97-101. (2013)
- Honda K, Littman DR.:
"The microbiome in infectious disease and inflammation."
Annu Rev Immunol. 30:759-95. (2012)
- *Atarashi K, Tanoue T, Shima T, Imaoka A, Kuwahara T, Momose Y, Cheng G, Yamasaki S, Saito T, Ohba Y, Taniguchi T, Takeda K, Hori S, Ivanov II, Umesaki Y, Itoh K, Honda K.:
"Induction of colonic regulatory T cells by indigenous Clostridium species."
Science. 331:337-41. (2011)
- *Ivanov II, Atarashi K, Manel N, Brodie EL, Shima T, Karaoz U, Wei D, Goldfarb KC, Santee CA, Lynch SV, Tanoue T, Imaoka A, Itoh K, Takeda K, Umesaki Y, Honda K, Littman DR.:
"Induction of intestinal Th17 cells by segmented filamentous bacteria."
Cell. 139:485-98. (2009)
- *Atarashi K, Nishimura J, Shima T, Umesaki Y, Yamamoto M, Onoue M, Yagita H, Ishii N, Evans R, Honda K, Takeda K.:
"ATP drives lamina propria TH17 cell differentiation."
Nature 455:808-12. (2008)
- *Honda K, Yanai H, Negishi H, Asagiri M, Sato M, Mizutani T, Shimada N, Ohba Y, Takaoka A, Yoshida N, Taniguchi T.:
"IRF-7 is the master regulator of type-I interferon-dependent immune responses."
Nature 434:772-777. (2005).
- Kenya Honda
- Team Leader
- Seiko Narushima
- Research Scientist
- Takeshi Tanoue
- Special Postdoctoral Researcher
- Takaaki Kawaguchi
- Junior Research Associate
- Manabu Nagayama
- Junior Research Associate
- Satoshi Sasajima
- Technical Staff II