RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
Laboratory for Transcriptional Regulation
Group Director: Ichiro Taniuchi (M.D., Ph.D)
Gene regulation by transcription factors networks plays a central role in development of multi-cellular organisms. The aims of researches in my laboratory are to understand of how genetic program that governs immune cell development is controlled and evolved from the view of transcriptional regulation. In particular, we will focus on mechanisms of silencer-mediated gene repression and functions of Runx transcription factor family. Finally, we wish to apply our findings to develop new technology that will be applied to control human diseases.
Main Research Field
Related Research Fields
Biology & Biochemistry / Molecular Biology & Genetics
- Regulation of immune cell development by transcription factors networks
- Gene regulation by transcriptional silencers
- Regulation of immune system through Runx transcription factor complexes
- Tanaka H, Naito T, Muroi S, Seo W, Chihara R, et.al.:
"Epigenetic Thpok silencing limits the time window to choose CD4+ helper-lineage fate in the thymus."
EMBO J. doi:10.1038/emboj.2013.47 (2013).
- Reis B, Rogoz A, Costa-Pinto F, Taniuchi I and Mucida D.:
"Mutual expression of Runx3 and ThPOK regulates intestinal CD4 T cell immunity."
Nat. Immunol. 14:271-80 (2013).
- Mucida D, Husain M.M, Muroi S, van Wijk F, Shinnakasu R, et al.:
"Transcriptional Reprogramming of Mature CD4 T helper Cells generates distinct MHC class II restricted Cytotoxic T Lymphocytes."
Nat. Immunol. 14: 281-9 (2013).
- Seo W, Ikawa T, Kawamoto H, and Taniuchi I.:
"Runx1/Cbfb is essential for early B lymphocyte development through regulation of Ebf1 expression."
J.Exp.Med. 209:1255-62 (2012).
- Sakaguchi S, Hombauer M, Bilic I Naoe Y, Schebesta A et al.:
"The zinc finger protein MAZR is part of the transcription factor network controlling CD4/CD8 cell fate decision of DP thymocytes."
Nat. Immunol. 11:442-448 (2010).
- Collins A, Littman D.R and Taniuchi I.:
"RUNX proteins in transcription factor networks that regulate T-cell lineage choice."
Nat. Rev. Immunol. 9:106-15 (2009).
- Muroi S, Naoe Y, Miyamoto C, Akiyama K, Ikawa T et al.:
"Cascading suppression of transcriptional silencers by ThPOK seals helper T cell fate."
Nat. Immunol. 9:1113-21 (2008).
- Setoguchi R, Tachibana M, Naoe Y, Muroi S, Akiyama K et al.:
"Repression of the Transcription Factor Th-POK by Runx Complexes in Cytotoxic T Cell Development."
Science 319:816-819 (2008).
- Naoe Y, Setoguchi R, Akiyama K, Muroi S, Kuroda M et al.:
"Repression of interleukin-4 in T helper type 1 cells by Runx/Cbfb binding to the Il4 silencer."
J.Exp.Med. 204:1749-1755 (2007)
- Taniuchi I Osato M, Egawa T, Sunshine M.J, Bae S.-C, et al.:
"Differential requirements for Runx proteins in CD4 repression and epigenetic silencing during T lymphocyte development."
Cell 111: 621-33 (2002).
- Ichiro Taniuchi
- Group Director
- Mari Tenno
- Research Scientist