Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS) is operating the world's leading K computer, and also has strong research teams. R-CCS takes the lead in advancing the computational science and aims to be an international center of excellence for computational science in collaboration with a wide range of research organizations. R-CCS integrates the computer science and computational science to conduct most advanced research and development of a wide range of applied scientific computation, as well as of high performance computing technologies.
The primary target of our project is to develop our-own theoretical and computational molecular theory in order to perform first-principle calculations for the large-size and complicated molecular systems including nano- and bio-materials. The project involves the novel development of theory, algorithm, and software, which will be realized by cooperation of computational science and computer science with the K computer. By using our-own developing theory and software, in addition, we will realize a variety of untraversed computational applications for theoretical molecular designs as well as theoretical clarifications of chemical reactions and properties. We wish to construct a new foundation of computational science throughout our project.
Job title and Job description
- 1.Computational designs for novel materials such as Pb-Free perovskite solar cells via high-throughput simulation on the K computer
- 2.Development of ab initio quantum chemistry software “NTChem”
- 3.Development of new molecular electronic structure theory with fully utilization of high-performance supercomputers
The position requires a Ph.D. (including those who will take a degree before arriving at the post. If it has been 5 years or less since your acquisition of Ph.D. degree, you will be employed as a Postdoctoral Fellow), or equivalent/higher abilities. Communication in English is required.
Background(s): Quantum chemistry, Theoretical chemistry, Condensed matter physics, Theoretical biochemistry, Machine learning, Materials informatics
RIKEN Center for Computational Science, 6-7-1, Minatojima-minami-machi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to 5 years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
There will be a trial period of employment (in principle, 2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day. These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities.
Also, you will be eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for the Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi) of Japan.
Application and Required documents
Please send the following documents to the mailing address given below:
- 1.Curriculum Vitae or Curriculum Vitae. (with photo and email address)
- 2.List of research achievements (publications, presentations, awards, software development/release projects you are involved in, etc.).
- 3.Your experience in that field, together with your research plan if employed (within 2 pages in A4 format)
- 4.At least two letters of recommendation from a person who can evaluate your work. The letter should be addressed to the Director of RIKEN Center for Computational Science.
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Until the final candidate is found.
Handling of personal data
All private data sent to RIKEN in application for employment will be handled in strict confidentiality, and such data will not be utilized for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party. Application documents will not be returned.
Those who pass the selection on the basis of the candidate's documents will be interviewed at R-CCS.
Start of employment
As early as possible (negotiable)
Contact information and Send application to
Address: 2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0047, Japan
RIKEN Kobe branch, Kobe Administrative Division
Kobe Human Resources Section
Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
Please make sure to write “Computational Molecular Science Research Team” in red on the envelope or the subject of Email.
Updated as of Mar 27, 2019: "Required documents"