RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international research center in high performance computing and computational science in Japan. Our objectives are to investigate "the Science of (high performance) computing, by computing, and for computing", to research and develop our technologies (R-CCS technology) and software (R-CCS software), which we consider our core competence, in order to produce world-leading scientific and engineering results for use in Japan as well as globally.
Also, R-CCS started operating Japan's national flagship supercomputer, the K computer, as a shared national facility to support a wide range of research activities in 2011. Following K's success, development work on its successor, Supercomputer Fugaku, was launched in April 2014.
The High Performance Big Data Research Team leads research and software development for accelerating “machine learning, deep learning and large-scale big data processing (AI techniques)” on the K and the Fugaku supercomputers (HPC for AI). We also study for accelerating HPC applications and HPC systems by using these AI techniques. To tackle these research challenges, our team also study:
- 1.Fast and scalable parallel I/O by taking advantage of next-generation memory (e.g., Non-volatile memory) in big data processing and machine learning;
- 2.Scalable checkpointing for fault tolerance by taking advantage of next-generation memory (e.g., Non-volatile memory);
- 3.Scalable algorithms for deeply-hieratical memory and storage architecture;
- 4.Fast data transfer technique for multi-petabyte of big data on high-speed network;
- 5.Integration of software stacks of bigdata, machine learning and HPC, and their optimization;
- 6.Visualization and UI techniques of big data;
- 7.Other research and software development related to big data, machine learning and I/O.
Job title and Job description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher
Research and software development for accelerating machine learning, deep learning and large-scale big data processing is the main research topic of this position. We are seeking for scientists who can engage in one or more of following areas on top of the main research topic:
- 1.Research and software development related to big data processing, large-scale parallel I/O, high performance database
- 2.Development of system software that can take advantage of non-volatile memory
- 3.System resilience and fault tolerance such as scalable checkpointing
- 4.Fast and scalable data transfer of multi-petabyte of big data on high-speed network
- 5.Scalable techniques and algorithms for big data processing and machine learning
- 6.Visualization of big data
- 7.Publishing papers to top international conferences, releasing and promoting developed software
The position requires a Ph.D. (including those who will take a degree before arriving at the post. If it has been 5 years or less since your acquisition of Ph.D. degree, you will be employed as a Postdoctoral Researcher). The candidate also should have good experience of not only computer programming using C/C++ but also knowledge and experience on distributed systems and parallel programming (e.g., MPI, OpenMP or other parallel programming languages). It is preferable to have excellent experience and achievement on the offered topics above. Communication in English (or Japanese) is required.
RIKEN Center for Computational Science,
7-1-26, Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
Salary and benefits
- 1.(Research Scientist) A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to 7 years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.(Postdoctoral Researcher) A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to 5 years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 4.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
There will be a trial period of employment (in principle, 2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
These positions fall under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and Required documents
Applications composed of the following documents must be submitted to the mailing address given below. Emailed applications will be accepted when the files are in the form of PDF.
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with your photo and email address)
- 2.List of research achievements (publications, presentations, awards, software development/release projects you are involved in, etc.).
- 3.Up to five reprints of selected research articles
- 4.The topics you apply and your experience in that field, together with your research plan if employed (within 2 pages in A4 format)
- 5.At least one letter of recommendation from a person who can evaluate your work with his/her signature on. The letter should be addressed to the Director of RIKEN Center for Computational Science (one recommendation letter should be from the current supervisor. If this is difficult, one from someone who knows the applicant well)
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Until the final candidate is found.
Handling of personal data
All private data sent to RIKEN in application for employment will be handled in strict confidentiality, and such data will not be utilized for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party. Application documents will not be returned.
Selected applicants will be invited for interviews (twice for Research Scientist, once for Postdoctoral Researcher). Any inquiries on the selection process and results will not be accepted.
Start of employment
At the earliest possible time(negotiable).
Contact information and Send application to
Address: 2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0047, Japan
RIKEN Kobe branch, Kobe Administrative Division
Kobe Human Resources Section
Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
Please make sure to indicate “Application for (name of the position) of High Performance Big Data Research Team” in red on the envelope or in the subject column.
Updated as of Dec 26, 2018: "Research Field" and "Job title and Job description"
Updated as of Mar 27, 2019: "Required documents"
Updated as of May 14, 2020: "Research Field"