Seeking Research Scientist and Postdoctoral Researcher
High Performance Artificial Intelligence Systems Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
(Team Leader: Satoshi Matsuoka)
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international research center in high performance computing and computational science in Japan. Our objectives are to investigate “the Science of (high performance) computing, by computing, and for computing”, to research and develop our technologies (R-CCS technology) and software (R-CCS software), which we consider our core competence, in order to produce world-leading scientific and engineering results for use in Japan as well as globally.
Also, R-CCS started operating Japan’s national flagship supercomputer, the K computer, as a shared national facility to support a wide range of research activities in 2011. Following K’s success, development work on its successor, the post-K computer, was launched in April 2014.
The High Performance Artificial Intelligence Systems Research Team is an R-CCS laboratory focusing on convergence of HPC and AI, namely high performance systems, software, and algorithms research for artificial intelligence/machine learning. In collaboration with other research institutes in HPC and AI-related research in Japan as well as globally it seeks to develop next-generation AI technology that will utilize state-of-the-art high-performance computation facilities, including the post-K.
Job title and job descriptions
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher, 2 positions
Conduct research on next-generation AI systems by focusing on the following topics:
- 1.Extreme speedup and scalability of deep learning:
Achieve extreme scalability of deep learning in large-scale supercomputing environments including the post-K, extending the latest algorithms and frameworks for deep learning.
- 2.Performance analysis of deep learning:
Accelerate computational kernels for AI over the state-of-the-art hardware architectures by analyzing algorithms for deep learning and other machine learning/AI, measuring their performance and constructing their performance models.
- 3.Acceleration of modern AI algorithms:
Accelerate advanced AI algorithms, such as ultra-deep neural networks and high-resolution GAN over images, those that require massive computational resources, using extreme-scale deep learning systems.
- 4.Acceleration of HPC algorithms using machine learning
Accelerate HPC algorithms and applications using empirical models based on machine learning.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of appointment. In general, those who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years will be appointed as Postdoctoral Researchers, and those who earned a doctorate more than 5 years ago will be appointed as Research Scientists. Exceptions may apply to those with an outstanding record of achievements. Successful candidates must have thorough knowledge of basic algorithms for parallel computing, designing and programming hardware and software for HPC systems, the basic theory of machine learning and the frameworks of deep learning. Individuals with research experience in the areas described in “Job description” are strongly preferred. The applicant must be socially cooperative, able to conduct research independently, and have good communication skills.
Location: Tokyo office, RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Address: East Tower 16F, Toranomon Twin Building, 2-10-1, Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-1001
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, but not beyond the end of March, 2022.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above term for renewal based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s cumulative period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
There will be a probation period (usually 2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be available.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai) is required.
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
- Eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003.
- Eligible to apply for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
- RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women can work to their full ability. RIKEN’s child care centers are also available. The child care center in Kobe, for example, is within a 6-minute walk of the work location. Availability of the child care offered by the centers depends on vacancy.
Application and required documents
Applications are accepted by email only. However, when the application documents are too large to submit by email, it is recommended to use an online file transfer service. Before submitting the application, make sure the documents are encrypted and send us the password information separately. Upon receipt, we will check whether all required documents are included and send an acknowledgement of receipt. If you do not receive the acknowledgement email, please contact us at the email address in “Contact information” below.
Please prepare the following documents in English.
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant’s name, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant’s current affiliation, and email address. Other information that is not necessary for selection, such as the applicant’s current address, date of birth, age, sex and marital status, is not required.
- 2.List of research achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also awards and competitive funds received, and research achievements while working in the private sectors. Also include quantitative evaluation indices,such as the Google Scholar citation index as much as possible.
- 3.Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4.Description of previous research, future research plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately three to four A4 pages in total. It is desirable that a diagram describing the research is provided.
- 5.Recommendation letter(s) (in English) from one or two individual(s) with their signatures
One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted. The letter should be addressed to the R-CCS Director. Digital signature image should be embedded in the recommendation letters within the PDF file.
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling of personal information
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews for Research Scientist position and one interview for Postdoctoral Researcher position). No inquiries about the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of employment
July 1, 2019 or later, at the earliest opportunity
Application materials will not be returned.
Contact information and submission address
Combine all the application documents into a single PDF document and submit to the email address below.
Note: Please replace [at] with @.
Please use the subject line “R-CCS High-performance Artificial Intelligence Systems Team - Research Scientist” or “R-CCS High-performance Artificial Intelligence Systems Team - Postdoctoral Researcher” when applying..
For inquiries about the research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
High-performance Artificial Intelligence Systems Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Note: Please replace [at] with @.