Seeking a Deputy Program Director(W19020)
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program
(Program Director: Tetsuo Hatsuda)
The goal of the Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences (iTHEMS) program is to function as an international center that brings together researchers in theoretical, mathematical, and computational science to unravel mysteries of the Universe, matter, and life, as well as to solve key problems in modern society. Additionally, by offering interdisciplinary schools, workshops, and lectures by leading scientists in academia and by researchers in industries, iTHEMS aims at developing an ideal environment for young researchers to make major breakthroughs. Furthermore, iTHEMS forms an international network for brain circulation through collaborations with domestic and overseas research institutions.
For more information, please refer to the following website:
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (iTHEMS)
Job title and Job description
Deputy Program Director / one position
A researcher who leads the field of mathematical biology, understands the purpose of iTHEMS to promote collaborative research across fields, and engages in research and management from a comprehensive perspective.
Successful candidate must have high research achievements in mathematical biology, have broad insights into the link between life science and mathematical science, and have strong motivation to engage in research and management in iTHEMS under collaborations inside and outside of RIKEN.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year 2024 (March 31, 2025).
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50).
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day. These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and required documents
- 1.CV or CV (with email address) *
* Write the open call ID “W19020”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.Complete publication list (5 highlight papers should be marked with their DOI)
- 3.List of external funds received, awards and academic/social activities
- 4.Summary of past and present researches(3 pages)
- 5.Plans for research and management as Deputy Program Director (3 pages)
- 6.Two reference letters
* The reference letter must be addressed to “Dr. Hiroshi Matsumoto President of RIKEN” with the writer’s signature.
* The reference letters must be emailed directly from the writers to ithems-jinji[at]ml.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
* Reference letters must arrive by 17:00(JST), October 31, 2019
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send a combined PDF file (1)-(5) by email to ithems-jinji[at]ml.riken.jp
Reference letters must be emailed directly from the writers to ithems-jinji[at]ml.riken.jp
(Replace [at] with @ )
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
17:00(JST), October 31, 2019
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
April 1, 2020 (negotiable)
Full−time appointment preferred (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences (iTHEMS)
Email: ithems-jinji[at]ml.riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.