Seeking a Research Scientist (PCSD1901)
Laboratory for Prediction of Cell Systems Dynamics
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research
(Team Leader: Katsuyuki Shiroguchi)
We want to develop new techniques to "see" something unknown, in order to understand biological systems and to contribute to medical science and our understanding of diseases. Especially, we are focusing on visualizing the distribution of cell states by accurate system-wide measurements with single molecule and/or single cell resolution. We are also developing a new system to study cell systems dynamics and to predict the cell fate by live imaging, cell manipulation, sequencing, etc. Biological targets may be development, differentiation, regeneration, immune system, etc.
For more information, please refer to the following page:
Laboratory for Prediction of Cell Systems Dynamics | RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research
Job title and Job description
Research Scientist, one person, full-time.
A successful candidate will develop new method(s), including instruments, to measure parameters quantitatively from single cells, a few cells, or cells from tissues based on techniques of optical microscope, microfluidics, cell biology, and/or molecular biology, bioinformatics, machine learning, and will measure samples which are important in biology and medical sciences. Biological targets may be organoids, tissues, immune cells, etc, to study development, differentiation, regeneration, aging, immune system, etc.
- 1.Ph.D. holders (those about to finish a Ph.D. may also apply) in fields related to those stated in the job description above. Successful candidates will have knowledge and experience of the research themes shown in the Job Descriptions section or relevant research fields and a strong interest to study science and/or medical sciences by developing a new method.
- 2.A person who is able to dedicate themselves to the job by communicating, coordinating and collaborating smoothly with people in and out of the laboratory.
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Osaka Campus)
6-2-3, Furuedai, Suita, Osaka 565-0874, Japan
Salary and benefits
- 1.Terms of contract:
One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to March 31st, 2024
- 2.However, the contract renewable period may be changed on the basis of the employee’s abilities, work load, performance, work attitude, continuation of the center, laboratory or project in which the employee is involved, and on the basis of RIKEN’s finance situation and budget condition at the time. In principle, no contract renewal will be made for people 66 years old or older.
- 3.For contracts entered into on or after April 1, 2013, RIKEN will not enter into a new fixed-term employment contract that extends the employee’s total years of employment at RIKEN to more than 10 years.
There will be a trial period of employment (in principle, 2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before the fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please provide the documents indicated below as a single PDF file and send it to the email address, kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp *Please replace "[at]" with "@".
Please write " (PCSD1901) Application for (name of the position) of Laboratory for Prediction of Cell Systems Dynamics " in the subject line.
Application documents will not be returned.
Documents to submit
- 1.Curriculum vitae including publication list (original article, review article, book, conference presentation, etc)
- *Email address is required
- *Application Number (PCSD1901) should be clearly written at top-right in the first page.
- 2.Copies of representative publications (up to two).
- 3.Summary of past research and achievements (1-2 pages of A4 paper)
- 4.Why you want to join our lab, what you can do and want to do in our lab and in the future. (1-2 page of A4 paper)
- 5.A reference letter from your current supervisor
- *If it is difficult to obtain the reference letter from your current supervisor, please obtain a letter from a third party.
- *A reference letter should be addressed to " Center Director, Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research "
- *Please ask the person providing the recommendation to send the letter directly to the address” kobe-jobs[at]riken.jp”.
- 6.Contact information of another reference(s), including email and phone.
- 7.Certificate of degree awarded, certificate of graduation from the last school, diploma (copy) or graduation certificate from the last school (copy)
- 8.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Application will be closed as soon as the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
All private data sent to RIKEN in application for employment is handled in strict confidentiality, and such data is not utilized for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party. Application documents will not be returned.
Selection will be made based on application screening and interview. After documents screening, only successful applicants will be invited for interview.
*We do not answer to questions regarding contents of the examination.
Start of Employment
As soon as possible (Negotiable)
Updated as of Oct 25, 2019: "Terms of contract"
Updated as of Jan 17, 2020: "Documents to submit"
For submission of application
kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ ), with attached single PDF file
Address: 2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0047, Japan
RIKEN Kobe branch, Kobe Administrative Division
Kobe Human Resources Section
Please make sure to indicate “(PCSD1901) Application for research scientist of Laboratory for Prediction of Cell Systems Dynamics” in the subject of the email or on the envelope in red.
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (BDR), Laboratory for Prediction of Cell Systems Dynamics
Email: katsuyuki.shiroguchi[at]riken.jp *Please replace "[at]" with "@".
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact Dr. Shiroguchi.