Seeking a Technical staffⅠ(W19092)
The Center for Emergent Matter Science (Center Director: Dr. Yoshinori Tokura) is a strategic research center launched on April 1st, 2013. The center aims at constructing a novel condensed matter science and contributing fundamentally toward the realization of an environmentally benign, sustainable society which is recognized as a world-wide problem.
Our team is involved in Quantum Leap Flagship Program in which we develop superconducting quantum circuits for quantum information processing. Thus, we are hiring a technical staff who has experience and expertise in nanofabrication and device fabrication in a clean room.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Superconducting Quantum Electronics Research Team
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Technical staffⅠ 1 person
*Technical staff I must provide technical supports independently to implement the lab missions.
As a member of the Q-LEAP Project, the successful applicant will work on electron-beam lithography, dry etching, e-gun evaporation, dicing, etc., mainly in the clean room. Sample inspections using an SEM, an AFM, and an optical microscope, device characterizations using a prober, and maintenance of the clean room and the instruments, are also a part of the job.
- Have work experience of semiconductor-related manufacturing in clean rooms.
- Familiar with at least one of vacuum processes such as dry etching, E-gun evaporation, and sputter deposition.
- Have experiences of using SEM.
(favorably)Have experiences of using electron beam lithography systems.
- Have an ability to use PC for working.
(favorably)Have experiences of computer programming and network management.
- Have knowledge of scientific field equivalent to graduation from science university.
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the end of March, 2028.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date). However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules on period of fixed-term employment. Please refer “RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5.When the Employee's research is scheduled to be reviewed every three years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
Write the RIKEN job ad number "W19092", indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.resume showing career and job history
- 3.Copies or PDF files of reports or major papers if possible (no more than five)
- 4.Name and contact information who can evaluate your work.
- 5.Contact information
- 6.Recommendation letter from the current supervisor (if this is difficult, one from someone who knows the applicant well can be accepted. The letter should include the recommender's name, affiliation, title, phone number, E-mail address).
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to yasunobu.nakamura [at]riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to yasunobu.nakamura [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ ))
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Superconducting Quantum Electronics Research Team
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: yasunobu.nakamura [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of May 12, 2020: "Salary and benefits"