Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist (W19094)
Ultrafast intense laser technology and its application for interaction of strong optical field with matters are studied. Particular interests are placed on nonlinear optical phenomena in the soft x-ray region and generation of ultrashort pulses in the region of attosecond seconds by high-order harmonics.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist：1 position
In principal, Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Experimental research on attosecond to femtosecond dynamics in atoms and molecules.
The successful candidate will work for MEXT project on "Attosecond science in the sub-keV region"
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree and is desired to have an experience of experimental study on ultrafast optics/spectroscopy or intense laser-matter interactions, etc.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, until the termination of the project (Estimated project termination date: March 31, 2024)
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
*Write the open call ID "W19094", indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.Research Plan or proposal (A4 : 1-2 pages)
- 4.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(If the current supervisor's recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- 5.3 set of copies of your major papers
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, “Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR” with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to kmidori [at] riken.jp
(Replace [at] with @ )
*Write "Application Documents; W19094 Attosecond Science Research Team with your desired position (e.g. Research Scientist)" in the subject line.
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to kmidori [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ ))
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled.
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
Dr. Katsumi Midorikawa
Attosecond Science Research Team
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: kmidori [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.
*Write "Inquiries; W19094 Attosecond Science Research Team with your desired position (e.g. Research Scientist)" in the subject line.