Seeking Senior Scientist/Research Scientist/Postdoctoral Researcher
RIKEN Center for Computational Science (R-CCS), led by Center Director Satoshi Matsuoka, is an international research center in high performance computing and computational science in Japan. Our objectives are to investigate "the Science of (high performance) computing, by computing, and for computing", to research and develop our technologies (R-CCS technology) and software (R-CCS software), which we consider our core competence, in order to produce world-leading scientific and engineering results for use in Japan as well as globally.
Also, R-CCS started operating Japan's national flagship supercomputer, the K computer, as a shared national facility to support a wide range of research activities in 2011. Following K's success, development work on its successor, Supercomputer Fugaku, was launched in April 2014.
The Data Assimilation Research Team ("DA team") performs cutting-edge research and development on advanced data assimilation methods and their wide applications, aiming at integrating computer simulations and real-world data in the wisest way. The DA team tackles challenging problems to develop fundamental technologies integrating data-driven and process-driven approaches, taking advantage of advanced high-performance computers (HPC) and various sources of data in the new era of IoT (Internet of Things), Big Data and Artificial Intelligence (AI).
Job title and job descriptions
Job title, available positions
Senior Scientist, Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher, a few positions available
Conduct research and development on data assimilation. Some examples follow:
- 1.Advanced research on data assimilation with numerical weather prediction models, e.g., data assimilation of advanced sensors such as satellites and radars.
- 2.Theoretical research on data assimilation, including (but not limited to) an algorithmic design for efficient computations and methodological development for nonlinear, non-Gaussian applications. For example, particle filters for high-dimensional applications and cooperation/integration with Uncertainty Quantification (UQ).
- 3.Research on advancing data assimilation for making sense of "Big Data." Integrating data-driven and process-driven approaches in a broader sense. Integrating AI and data assimilation with high-performance computation (HPC).
- 4.Research on pioneering new applications of data assimilation for various HPC-based simulations. For example, Akatsuki satellite data assimilation for the Venus atmosphere.
The successful candidates are expected to carry out original research and development in close collaboration with other members of the DA team and sister laboratory, Prediction Science Laboratory, RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research, as well as other teams in R-CCS, other centers in RIKEN, and other collaborative partners in Japan and overseas. In addition, Senior Scientist helps Team Leader to manage the team.
A Ph.D. degree or equivalent with strong background in data assimilation and related research fields. Senior Scientist position is considered for those who have outstanding record of original research in the fields closely related to data assimilation. Research Scientist position is considered for those who have more than 5-year postdoctoral experience. Proven skill in UNIX and FORTRAN90 and/or other programming languages for scientific computation is required. DA team is interested in skilled and motivated applicants who have a strong motivation about data assimilation research. Experience with high-performance parallel computers is a great plus. Excellent communication skill in English (or Japanese) is required.
RIKEN Center for Computational Science, 7-1-26, Minatojima-minami-machi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, 650-0047, JAPAN
Salary and benefits
- 1.(Senior Scientist/Research Scientist) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to seven years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.(Postdoctoral Researcher) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to five years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.RIKEN may adjust the above term for renewal based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 4.The employee's cumulative period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
There will be a trial period of employment (in principle, 2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be available.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai) is required.
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
Eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003.
Eligible to apply for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi etc.).
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and required documents
Applications are accepted by email only. However, when the application documents are too large to submit by email, it is recommended to use an online file transfer service. Before submitting the application, make sure the documents are encrypted and send us the password information separately. Upon receipt, we will check whether all required documents are included and send an acknowledgement of receipt. If you do not receive the acknowledgement email, please contact us at the email address in "Contact information" below.
Please prepare the following documents in English.
No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant’s name, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant’s current affiliation, and email address. Other information that is not necessary for selection, such as the applicant’s current address, date of birth, age, sex and marital status, is not required.
- 2.List of research achievements
Include not only peer-reviewed papers but also awards and competitive funds received, and research achievements while working in the private sectors. Also include quantitative evaluation indices,such as the Google Scholar citation index as much as possible.
- 3.Copies of up to five most important publications (Please mark the papers on the list of publications.)
When the original publications are not in PDF format, scan the papers and save them as PDF documents prior to submission.
- 4.Description of previous research, future research plans, and career goals: No format specified, approximately up to four A4 pages in total.
- 5.Recommendation letter(s) (in English) from one or two individual(s) with their signatures
One recommendation letter should be written by the applicant’s current supervisor. When it is difficult to do so, a recommendation letter written by a third party may be accepted. The letter should be addressed to the R-CCS Director.
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling of personal information
Applications will be reviewed upon receipt, and interviews will be conducted for selected applicants (2 interviews for Senior Scientist and Research Scientist positions and one interview for Postdoctoral Researcher position). No inquiries on the selection process and results will be answered.
Start of employment
As early as possible (Negotiable)
Application files will not be returned.
Contact information and submission address
Combine all the application documents into a single PDF document and submit to the email address below.
Note: Please replace [at] with @.
Please use the subject line "R-CCS Data Assimilation Research Team - Application to [Name of the position]" when applying.
For inquiries on research conducted by the team, please contact the Team Leader by email:
Data Assimilation Research Team
RIKEN Center for Computational Science
Note: Please replace [at] with @.