Seeking a Team Leader (IMS701-1902)
The laboratory promotes theoretical biology or quantitative biology research, with the goal of achieving a global understanding of biological systems and the application of this knowledge to medical sciences. The laboratory conducts highly original research to elucidate theoretical principles that underlie various biological phenomena, such as molecular and cellular interactions involved in maintenance of body homeostasis, mechanisms of disease onset, aging and adaptations to the environment.
Job Title and Job Description
One opening for Team Leader position (Principal Investigator position)
- Oversee, manage and promote activities of the PI's independent research team.
- Promote professional growth and development of the PI's research team with strong leadership and appropriate interaction with laboratory members
- Develop integrated interdisciplinary research with informatics, data science, mathematics and experiment science.
- Advance integrated measurement and modeling research for IMS.
- Manage laboratory budgets and acquire external funds.
- PhD or MD/PhD holder in an area relevant to this research.
- Extensive experience in mathematics and bioinformatics, and a pragmatic understanding and knowledge of biological and experimental sciences.
- Outstanding publication record.
- Interest in establishing the mechanisms of onset and development of human diseases.
- Applicants must have leadership and management abilities to run a research laboratory and direct laboratory staff.
* Full-time Team Leader position.
RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 230-0045 Japan
Salary and Benefits
Terms of contract
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation up to a maximum of March 31, 2025.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
Salary, Holidays, Other provisions
There will be a trial period of employment (in principle, 2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50).
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations. RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible to apply for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Documents to Submit
Prepare the documents below as a PDF and send them to IMS-recruit [at] riken.jp (replace " [at] " with "@").
* Write "Application Documents; [IMS701-1902] Laboratory for Integrated Cellular Systems_Team Leader" in the subject line.
- 1.CV or CV with photograph and email address.
- *In the top right-hand corner of the CV, please indicate open-call No.IMS701-1902.
- *Using the RIKEN format above is appreciated.
- 2.List of publications (primary publications, reviews and books), presentations, etc. in the past ten years.
- 3.Major publications. [Up to five. Indicate the papers that will be submitted on the list of publications (#2).]
- 4.Future research plans and research philosophy/vision (Up to five double-spaced A4-size pages) including;
- Abstract of your research plans and vision.
- Specific description of your near-term (5-year) research plans - their significance, originality, novelty, and expected impact. Include a brief description of previous research and achievements that form the basis of your plans.
- List of competitive external funding awarded currently and in the last 5 years as well as currently-submitted / under-review proposals (e.g. Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research [KAKENHI]; indicate
whether you are the primary investigator or a collaborator)
- 5.One letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, as well as letters of recommendation from two researchers not affiliated with RIKEN.
- *Recommendation letter should be addressed to "Dr. Hiroshi Matsumoto, President of RIKEN" and include the recommender's name, affiliation, position and email address.
- *If it is difficult to obtain a recommendation letter from your current supervisor, a recommendation from a third party will be accepted.
- *If the person providing the recommendation will send the letter directly, please send it to IMS-recruit [at] riken.jp (replace " [at] " with "@").
- *The signature (or seal) of the person providing the recommendation is required.
Please put "Recommendation letter for (name of applicant)" in the subject line.
- 6.Certificate of graduation or copy of diploma for the highest degree obtained (photocopy acceptable). (This document can be sent anytime up until the day of the interview.)
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
* You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
noon on October 28 (Mon.), 2019 (Japan Standard Time)
* All required documents must be submitted by the deadline except for [Documents to Submit] #6, Certificate of graduation.
Handling of Personal Data
All private data sent to RIKEN in application for employment is handled in strict confidentiality, and such data is not utilized for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party. Application documents will not be returned.
Applicants who pass the initial document screening will be invited for an interview.
During the interview, you will be asked to give a presentation on your research plan etc
Start of Employment
Earliest date possible (negotiable)
Any questions about this position should be sent to the appropriate email address below.
For application documents and general questions
Recruiting Staff for RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences
Administrative Division, RIKEN Yokohama Branch
Email: IMS-recruit [at] riken.jp (replace [at] with @)
For research-related questions
Integrative Medical Sciences and Sustainable Resource Sciences Promotion Office
Email: ims-planning [at] ml.riken.jp (replace [at] with @)