Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (W19150)
Human biomimetic system RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research
(Team Leader: Masaya Hagiwara)
The overall objective of my research is the development of in-vitro experimental platform to reconstitute the biological system outside our bodies by controlling cellular micro-environments. Especially lung airway is the one of my major targets. The scientific question is how the airway cells can organize such a sophisticated structure by themselves. The repetitive feedbacks between in-vitro experiments and mathematical model give us a tremendous amount of useful information, and I am challenging to unveil the system underlying self-organization of tissue formation by directing complex tissue structure. Development of Organ or Body-on-a-Chip system is another research target for the animal testing alternative.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher: 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research related to in vitro 3D culture experiments for elucidation of the system in tissue pattern formation including lung airway, and disease mechanisms.
- 1.Molecular analysis for airway epithelial cells
- 2.Control experiments of cellular microenvironments with microfluidic chip
- 3.Development of in vitro disease model with multiple organs/ cells/ molecules
Carries out research and other work in accordance with the project research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
The candidates should possess a doctoral degree including but not limited to in biology (developmental biology, molecular biology, chemical biology, immunology, etc.) or engineering field (micor-nano system).
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of 5 years from the initial date of hire.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
Retain this text only when applicable:
There will be a trial period of employment (in principle, 2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W19150”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from current supervisor
(If the current supervisor's recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- 4.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to arimitsu [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to arimitsu [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As soon as possible (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Ms. Izumi Arimitsu
RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research Center
Human biomimetic system RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: arimitsu [at] riken.jp (Replace [at] with @ )
For inquiries, please send an email.