Seeking a Postdoctoral Research Scientist (W19167)
The Quantum Optoelectronics Research Team aims to develop and engineer optoelectronic devices with novel functionalities that can only be achieved by utilizing the quantum nature of electrons and photons at the nanoscale.
For more information, please refer to the following websites:
- Quantum Optoelectronics Research Team | RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
- Kato Group, Nanoscale Quantum Photonics Laboratory
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher, 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Successful applicant is expected to conduct experimental research in the Quantum Optoelectronics Team under the guidance of Dr. Yuichiro Kato. Our current research efforts include, but are not limited to, carbon nanotube photonics and optoelectronics, photonic crystals, and exciton manipulation. Projects will involve fabrication and engineering of nanoscale devices, microspectroscopy and imaging measurements, as well as development of automated data collection and analysis systems.
Applicants must have obtained a doctoral degree in physics, applied physics, electrical engineering, or a closely related field, within five years of the date of appointment. Written and verbal English proficiency is required. Applicants are expected to have a strong publication record that demonstrates their capability for cutting-edge scientific research. Extensive experience in nanoscale devices and/or optical spectroscopy is highly preferred.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN's management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Cover Letter (Include a summary of research achievements and a detailed description of a research project that you would like to pursue in our group. The project proposal should bring together your personal expertise with our strengths, and have a clear scientific merit.)
- 2.Complete CV (with photo and email address. Also include the names, affiliations, and email addresses of the three references.)
* Please write the open call ID "W19167" in the notes section of your CV.
- 3.List of research publications (Please include a link to a Google Scholar or Publons page.)
- 4.Three letters of recommendation including one from the current supervisor (Please arrange the letters to be emailed directly to the contact address below. If the current supervisor's recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted.)
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please email PDF files of the application documents to the contact address shown below. Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the references.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
On or after Apr. 1, 2020 (Negotiable).
Contact Information / Send application to
Quantum Optoelectronics Research Team, RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: katogp-info [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.