Seeking a Research Scientist (HO1904)
The Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (BDR) views the functions of molecules, cells, and organs that support all life stages of organisms as a dynamic system, and aims to elucidate developmental, growth and aging phenomena as well as apply their findings to develop regenerative medicine and diagnostics, thereby contributing to the extension of healthy life expectancies.
Torpor (e.g. hibernation, daily torpor, or dormancy) is a natural energy-saving mechanism that actively produces a hypometabolic state upon biological crises. BDR has started a center-wide project, which investigates, manipulates, and engineers quiescence for facilitating future applications, through collaborative actions of BDR laboratories including us.
Laboratory for Human Organogenesis is seeking a motivated research scientist who carries out researches relating to Torpor. Our main research topic is to generate organoids (3-D mini organs) from pluripotent stem cells (PSCs). In this project, we will investigate the mechanisms that allow torpor to animals, using technologies of reproducing in vitro organogenesis. Candidates who are motivated to carry out an interdisciplinary study in the center-wide collaborative environment are strongly encouraged to apply.
We encourage you to contact to Email: minoru.takasato [at] riken.jp (Dr. Minoru Takasato) for any research-related inquiries before you apply.
Job title and Job description
Number of positions
After consulting with the team leader, carry out research relating to torpor using organoids. Jobs include to write dissertations and make research presentations in Japan and abroad. This project aims to merge different fields centering on organoid culture technology. Therefore, collaboration with laboratories within and outside BDR is essential.
This call is part of the center-wide project QMIN (Quiescence Manipulation and Investigation of Natural-hypometabolism (Japanese)), which started at 2019 at the BDR.
A PhD holder.
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Kobe Campus 1)
2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo, 650-0047, Japan
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the 31st March 2024.
- 2.However, the contract renewable period may be changed on the basis of the employee's abilities, work load, performance, work attitude, continuation of the center, laboratory or project in which the employee is involved, and on the basis of RIKEN's finance situation and budget condition at the time. In principle, no contract renewal will be made for people 66 years old or older.
- 3.For contracts entered into on or after April 1, 2013, RIKEN will not enter into a new fixed-term employment contract that extends the employee's total years of employment at RIKEN to more than 10 years.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before the fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Curriculum vitae or Curriculum vitae
- * Email address is required.
- * Application Number [HO1904] should be clearly written at top-right in the margin.
- * Format is free.
- 2.List of publications (Please categorize : Original article, Review article, Book, Conference presentation, Others)
- 3.Summary of past research and the result (about 2 pages of A4 paper)
- 4.Proposal for the future research once appointed (about 1 page of A4 paper)
- 5.Reference letter from current supervisor
- *If it is difficult to obtain reference letter from current supervisor, please obtain a letter from a third party.
- * A reference letter should be addressed to [Center Director, Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research]
Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
* Please understand that we will not return application documents.
We will examine application documents as they are accepted. Application will be closed as soon as the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
All private data sent to RIKEN in application for employment is handled in strict confidentiality, and such data is not utilized for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party.
Selection will be made based on application screening and interview. After documents screening, only successful applicants will be invited for interview.
* We do not answer to questions regarding contents of the examination.
Start of Employment
As early as possible (Negotiable)
Contact information and Send application to
Address: 2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0047, Japan
RIKEN Kobe branch, Kobe Administrative Division
Kobe Human Resources Section
Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
Please make sure to indicate "Application for Research Scientist of Laboratory for Human Organogenesis [HO1904]" in red on the envelope or in the subject column.
* You are encouraged to contact ]email: minoru.takasato [at] riken.jp (Laboratory for Human Organogenesis, Dr. Takasato) for any research-related inquiries before you apply.