Seeking a Research Scientist / Postdoctoral Researcher (W19233)
The Center for Emergent Matter Science (Center Director: Dr. Yoshinori Tokura) is a strategic research center launched on April 1st, 2013. The center aims at constructing a novel condensed matter science and contributing fundamentally toward the realization of an environmentally benign, sustainable society which is recognized as a world-wide problem.
Our team is involved in Quantum Leap Flagship Program in which we develop superconducting quantum circuits for quantum information processing. Through larger-scale integration of qubits, higher-fidelity control and readout, and longer coherence of qubits, we aim at the realization of a quantum computer. Therefore, we are hiring a postdoctoral researcher or a research scientist who has experience and expertise in experimental research on quantum electronics, quantum information scientist, condensed matter physics, etc.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Superconducting Quantum Electronics Research Team | RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist a few positions available
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist/Contract Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
*The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on his/her ability, aptitude, etc.
As a member of the Q-LEAP Project, the successful applicant will work on the development of superconducting quantum computing systems.
For details, please refer to the following website:
MEXT - Quantum Leap Flagship Program (MEXT Q-LEAP)
Applicants must have a doctor degree (or must be expected to receive a doctor degree until the employment). Applicants for Postdoctoral Researcher should have experience of post-doctoral research of less than 5 years.
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the end of March, 2028 (Research Scientist) or to a maximum 5 years (Postdoctoral Researcher) of employment.
- 2. RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3. The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4. When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5. When the Employee’s research is scheduled to be reviewed in his/her 5years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, there will be a trial period of employment (2 months).
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
*Write the open call ID “W19233”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2. List of research achievements and publications
- 3. PDF files of five major papers
- 4. Summary of major achievements to date and research proposal in future (five or less pages in total, A4 sized paper)
- 5. Recommendation letter from the current supervisor (if this is difficult, one from someone who knows the applicant well can be accepted. The letter should include the recommender's name, affiliation, title, phone number, E-mail address).
Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to yasunobu.nakamura [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to yasunobu.nakamura [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
Superconducting Quantum Electronics Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: yasunobu.nakamura [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.