Seeking a Research Scientist or a Postdoctoral Researcher (C20-0101)
The Beam Line Development Team develops new optical systems and experimental instruments/methods to explore advanced capabilities of X-ray free electron lasers of SACLA and to extend the frontiers of X-ray science.
Job title and Job description
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: a few positions
The successful candidate will promote advanced scientific research and technological development at SACLA. Researchers who are motivated to explore new scientific areas are encouraged to apply.
The candidate should possess or expect to receive a Ph.D. in a related field before the appointment date. (Candidates with less than five years postdoctoral experience will be considered for the position of Postdoctoral Researcher.)
Branch and address
RIKEN SPring-8 Center
(1-1-1 Kouto, Sayo-cho, Sayo-gun, Hyogo 679-5148)
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to the end of the fiscal year (March 31) at the latest, in which the employee completes 7 years of employment.
- 2. RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65.
- 3. The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment are considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with the candidate’s qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai) is required.
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7.5 hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking is permitted on site (designated smoking areas are available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN promotes a Gender Equality Program, taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give fully apply their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, the positions are eligible for exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and are eligible to apply for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV (including photo and current email address)
- 2.List of research achievements and publications (reviewed papers, presentations, etc.)
- 3.Outline of previous research and plans for research after arrival (A4, approximately two pages)
- 4.Main dissertation (copies allowed), up to 3 articles
- 5.Two letters of recommendation including one from the applicant’s current supervisor
- * Each letter of recommendation should be signed or sealed by the recommender.
- *The letters should be addressed to "Director of RIKEN SPring-8 Center".
- *If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available (please provide an explanation), a recommendation letter from a relevant third party will be accepted
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
March 31 (Tuesday), 2020 (RIKEN’s receipt of application)
Handling of personal data
Selection will be based on application screening and interviews.
Start of Employment
May 1, 2020, as early as possible (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN SPring-8 Center
XFEL Research and Development Division
Beam Line Research and Development Group
Beam Line Development Team
Team Leader, Makina Yabashi
Kouto 1-1-1, Sayo, Hyogo 679-5148
Email: rscsc [at] spring8.or.jp
For inquiries, please send an email to the address above.