Seeking Team Leaders (BDR1902)
The RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (BDR) aims to understand the general principles of organismal temporal dynamics throughout the lifespan from birth to death, including aging. Our interdisciplinary approaches include imaging, multi-omics, theory, molecular biology, stem cell biology, organoids, and diverse animal models.
We are now seeking to recruit Team Leaders who aim to explore new fields of life cycle science. How organisms including humans control the transitions of life stages, and how they achieve long-term control across distinct life stages, are our keen interests. Topics include metabolic, epigenetic, and morphogenetic transitions in the life cycle, multi-organ interactions, stem cell-based tissue maintenance, transgenerational interactions (e.g. mother-to-fetal communication), aging, and any other topics that will potentially lead to conceptual advances in life cycle science. We encourage proposals using unprecedented interdisciplinary approaches, such as combinations of reconstructing organs, comparing diverse animal models and primates including human subjects, linking events at multiple scales from molecules and cells to tissues and organs, and taking advantage of any other cutting-edge technologies.
BDR provides early-career Team Leaders with an excellent environment for their independent research, including internationally competitive start-up packages and annual research funds as well as mentoring by experienced senior PIs. Team Leaders will have access to cutting-edge facilities including various animal models, mouse genome engineering, multi-scale imaging and omics, and to opportunities for active collaborations with medical institutions, industry, and affiliated graduate schools. For more information please visit the BDR website
We welcome applications from candidates of any gender or nationality, and encourage applications from female and non-Japanese scientists. The recruitment will remain open until three scientists, including one or more female scientists, are appointed. The working language for all discussions open to BDR members is English.
Job title and Job description
Number of positions
3 persons, including 1 or more female scientists
- 1.Manage, operate and promote research activities as a principal investigator.
- 2.Tasks related to operation of the Center (contribute to committees, events, and outreach activities)
A holder of Ph.D. or equivalent degree.
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Kobe Campus-East-West)
2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo, 650-0047, Japan
*Information on life at BDR is available at Diversity | RIKEN BDR. The main campus of RIKEN BDR is located in Kobe, Japan. The city of Kobe is located in the western part of Japan in a unique setting between the Rokko Mountains and the Inland Sea. The city's port has historically played an important role in opening Japan up to international influence and the city retains a cosmopolitan and sophisticated air to this day. In addition to a bustling Chinatown and the more relaxed historical foreign settlement, there are a number of international restaurants, jazz bars, and hot springs. Japan's renowned public transport system also means that Kobe is within easy reach of the ancient capitals of Kyoto and Nara, which contain over 1,000 historical temples and shrines.
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable up to 7 years since the initial date of hire. Based on the performance review results, the fixed-term contract can be renewed for additional 3 years (in total 10 years at maximum).
- 2.Fixed-term Team Leaders are eligible to apply for indefinite-term Team Leader positions (equivalent to tenured positions) that open at RIKEN based on the performance review results.
- *The contract renewable period may be changed on the basis of the employee’s abilities, workload, performance, work attitude, continuation of the center, laboratory or project in which the employee is involved, and on the basis of RIKEN’s finance situation and budget condition at the time. Renewal of annual contract is based on evaluation. In principle, no contract renewal will be made for people 66 years old or older.
- *Information for current RIKEN employees - For contracts entered into on or after April 1, 2013, RIKEN will not enter into a new fixed-term employment contract that extends the employee’s total years of employment at RIKEN to more than 10 years.
- *In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
A wide range of measures to promote diversity, including childcare programs and supports to non-Japanese scientists, are available. For example, we offer English spoken assistance for appointed PIs and their family members by a dedicated staff, which includes matters associated with relocation to Kobe from abroad and free Japanese lessons after arrival. For further information on supports to promote diversity, please visit the following Website:
Diversity | RIKEN BDR
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Work hours: Full time
For details please see Fixed-term Employee Work Regulations or ask kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before the fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please prepare a package of application documents in a single PDF or compressed zip file, in less than 20 Mb, and send to kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp.
- 1.Curriculum vitae
* Please include the following information: your email and mailing address, current position, degree, education history, job history, and other relevant information helpful for evaluation.
- 2.List of publications (categorized to original articles, review articles, books, conference presentations, other)
- 3.Copies of three papers selected from your achievements based on relevance to your proposal (in PDF format).
- 4.Summary of past researches (approximately two pages in A4-size)
- 5.Research plan for the first 5 years and expected outcomes (approximately five pages in A4-size)
- 6.Name and contact information of three references.
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
* You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
*Please understand that we will not return application documents.
We will start reviewing applications received by June 30, 2020. The recruitment will continue until three positions are filled.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interview. After document screening, selected applicants will be invited for interview.
Interview date : September 14, 16 and 23, 2020 ( at Kobe Campus)
- *Due to coronavirus pandemic, the schedule and the format of interview may change. We will seek the best possible solution.
- *We will not answer any questions regarding contents of evaluation.
Start of Employment
As soon as possible after January 2021 (Negotiable)
Contact information and Send application to
RIKEN Kobe branch, Kobe Administrative Division
Kobe Human Resources Section
Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
Please make sure to indicate “[BDR1902] Application for BDR Team Leader” in the subject column.
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact bdr-riken [at] ml.riken.jp.
Updated as of Mar 30, 2020: "Selection process"