Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher or Technical Scientist (W20007)
Our team is working on the real-space observation of electron structures or topological electron-spin textures and their dynamics in strong-correlation systems by means of atomic-resolution electron microscopy. We use various microscopy techniques, such as the electron tomography, in-situ imaging, differential phase contrast microscopy, electron energy-loss spectroscopy, and energy dispersive spectroscopy to explore the electron structures and their dynamical phase transition or phase separation. We also use these powerful tools to quantitatively characterize the nanometric magnetic and electric fields in topological matters to exploit emergent phenomena.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Electronic States Microscopy Research Team
Job title and job descriptions
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher or Technical Scientist 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Technical Scientist (discretionary labor system) is defined as those with a doctoral degree in the field of physics/materials science/electron microscopy or with 3 years of work experiences in the field of electron microscopy.
*The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on his/her ability, aptitude, etc.
Common to all positions
In-situ imaging by (S)TEM and TEM sample preparation by using focused-ion-beam fabrication system.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in the field of condensed matter physics/ materials science/electron microscopy, or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree in the same field described above before the work start date.
Technical Scientist (discretionary labor system):
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in the field of condensed matter physics/ materials science/electron microscopy, or have 3 years of work experience in the field of electron microscopy.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum years 5 of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5.When the Employee’s research is scheduled to be reviewed in his/her 5years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Postdoctoral Researcher is eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003. Postdoctoral Researcher and Technical Scientist are eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
* Write the RIKEN job ad number “W20007”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
- 4.Representative publications (no more than five)
- 5.Summary of major achievements to date and research proposal in future (three-five pages of A4 sized paper in total)
- 6.Contact information to which the result will be informed (Email)
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
* You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to yu_x [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to yu_x [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Electronic States Microscopy Research Team
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Tel: +81 (0)48 467 4070
Email: yu_x [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.