Seeking a Team Leader or Unit Leader (W20018)
The Center for Advanced Intelligence Project has been launched with subsidy from Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan for “Advanced Integrated Intelligence Platform Project (AIP) -Artificial Intelligence/ Big Data/ Internet of Things/ Cybersecurity-”.
The Center conducts fundamental theoretical research and develops an innovative technology, with aiming to advance science and contribute to society or humanity. In detail, the missions of Center are 1) to promote cutting-edge Research and Development in the field of informatics with new AI technology at its core, 2) to establish next-generation fundamental technology for various applications that are useful to society, 3) to contribute to providing value to the economy and society through innovative application of the technology, 4) to contribute to creating a social environment to provide ethical and social support for a world in which AI technologies are becoming pervasive, 5) to develop human resources needed for AI technologies and their applications.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Opening for Team Leader or Unit Leader, One position
At the Center for Advanced Intelligence Project, the team leader position and the unit leader position are both independent principal investigators, and determined based on applicant’s experience and skills, etc.
Team Leader/ Unit Leader : 1) Oversee, manage and promote research activities in the category described below, 2) Manage budget and acquire external funds, 3) Manage and train team/unit members, 4) Carry out management work for the center Some domestic and/or international travel may be required.
Conduct interdisciplinary research on fairness in AI and privacy protection including humanities and social science aspects. The research should be aimed at identifying the ethical, legal, and social issues that arise in the research and development of artificial intelligence technology and preventing these problems so that next-generation artificial intelligence technology will progress without threatening the survival of humankind and without hindering social development.
Applicants must already possess or are scheduled to receive doctoral degrees in the area in question by the time of appointment.
Branch and address
RIKEN Tokyo Area (1-4-1, Nihonbashi, Chuo, Tokyo)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A maximum five-year, fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation to a maximum of march 31,2026.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
The total duration of the fixed-term contract with RIKEN shall not exceed 10 years from April 1, 2013.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and required documents
Required documents (in English or in Japanese)
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (W20018).
- 2.List of publications (three major papers should be specified)
- 3.Photocopies of three major research papers
- 4.Two different letters of recommendation including one by the current supervisor
- If you cannot obtain a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, the same document issued by a third party is acceptable.
- Letters of recommendation must be addressed to: “President of RIKEN” Stamp or signature by referee is necessary.
- Referees must directly send letters of recommendation 1) by postal mail to the address below after sealing, or 2) by email attached with a letter of recommendation with stamp or signature in PDF format, to the address below.
- 5.Research in the past and research plan (3 pages on A4 size paper)
Your research plan must include outcome expected within a few years from your appointment (5 years at a maximum).
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
For non-Japanese candidates, visa related documents will also be required.
How to apply
Applicants must contact the Center for Advanced Intelligence Project before they submit the required documents in PDF format by Email to the bellow Email address.
Please use the subject line “W20018_your name_the position that you are applying for” when you apply. (Example “W20018_Hanako Riken_Team Leader”)
Also, the document names for the letters of recommendation must be “Letter of recommendation_your name.” (Example: Letter of recommendation_Hanako Riken). You need to ask your referees to use this document name for the letter.
Note:Application documents will not be returned. No information can be released regarding application status or evaluation details prior to, during, or after the evaluation process.
Application must arrive by July 31,2020
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Only people who pass the application screening will be interviewed.
Start of Employment
October 1st, 2020 (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Advanced Intelligence Project Promotion Office
Nihonbashi 1-chome Mitsui Building, 15th floor,
1-4-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0027, Japan
Email: aip-jinji [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.