Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (CSRS-2003)
We investigate how plants control cell proliferation and differentiation in development or in response to the environment. We also study how plant cells reprogramme during regeneration. We take genetic and genomic approaches to uncover how transcriptional networks orchestrate these cellular processes and how epigenetic mechanisms regulate their progression.
For more information, please refer to the following website:
Cell Function Research Team Website
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher* , one position
*Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
The successful candidate will investigate how severe stress promotes cellular reprogramming in plant regeneration within the MEXT grant-in aid project "Molecular mechanism of plant cell reprogramming”*.
He/she will identify key transcriptional regulators in stress-induced reprogramming and elucidate their functions using molecular, genetic and genomic approaches.
*The scheduled completion date of this project will be March 31, 2023.
Postdoctoral Researcher carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
Candidates for Postdoctoral Researcher must have a doctor degree and experience of post-doctoral research for less than 5 years. Successful candidate is expected to speak and write English fluently, to have knowledge and expertise in one or more of the following areas: molecular biology, developmental biology, genomics, epigenomics, genetics, cell biology, plant physiology. It is required that the person can smoothly communicate with other collaborators in and out of our laboratory, and can cooperate with them.
RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science (Yokohama Campus)
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama City, Kanagawa 230-0045, Japan
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of March 31, 2023 (the scheduled completion date of the project written in “Job Descriptions”).
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.In principle, the center is set to continue its research to the end of the Mid- to Long-term Plan (7 years from April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2025).
However, if it is decided that the research project with which the Employee is involved will not be continued, the above provision on continuation of the "research center, laboratory or project" applies and there will be no re-employment for FY 2025 (from April 1, 2025)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003.
Application and required documents
Prepare the documents below as PDF files and send them to the address in Contact Information below.
- *Write Application Documents; [(CSRS-2003)] Cell Function Research Team Postdoctoral Researcher (your desired position) in the subject line.
- *Note: If the submission requirements are not met, your application will not be received.
- 1.Complete CV or CV
- *Please write Open-call ID [CSRS-2003] and the position you are applying for.
- *Using the RIKEN format above is appreciated.
- 2.List of research achievements. (Publications, Presentations, awards and others.).
* Also attach one copy of recent paper of the research field relevant to the field of the applicant applies for.
- 3.Previous research and future research plan (A4, 2 pages)
- 4.A letter of recommendation from the PI of current laboratory
- *A recommendation from a third party is allowed when it is difficult for the candidate to obtain a recommendation from the PI of current laboratory.
- *The letter should be addressed to the Center for Sustainable Resource Science, Director.
- 5.Certificate of graduation for the highest level of education achieved or copy of said diploma
- 6.Contact detail of one or two reference.
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Open until the position is filled.
- *Note: Application documents will not be returned.
- *Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email after document screening.
Handling of personal data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews (face-to-face or remote).
Start of Employment
Earliest date possible (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science
Cell Function Research Team
Email: keiko.sugimoto [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.