Seeking Team Leaders (W20045)
RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
The RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science (Center Director: Dr. Yoshinori Tokura) is a strategic research center launched on April 1, 2013. The center aims at constructing a novel condensed matter science and contributing fundamentally toward the realization of an environmentally benign, sustainable society which is recognized as a world-wide problem. To be more specific, by integrating the three important fields of:
- (I)strong correlation physics that proposes the principles of emergent phenomena in many-body systems,
- (II)supramolecular chemistry of functional nano-scale elements based on molecular design,
- (III)quantum information electronics that develops the achievements of quantum science to applications,
we aim at solving the following problems relevant to the energy functions:
- (a)Environmentally benign energy collection/conversion with ultra-high efficiency
By exploiting emergent phenomena, we attempt to overcome the difficulty in current energy-collection processes, such as solar power generation, and energy conversion processes, such as battery/thermoelectric devices, and also achieve environmentally benign, nano-scale chemical reactions.
- (b)Electronics with ultra-low power consumption
By exploiting the quantum mechanical collective dynamics of electrons, we aim to obtain systems that show gigantic responses to tiny stimuli without any heat dissipation. Specific examples include: (i) device applications based on phase transition phenomena induced by external fields, (ii) spintronics with ultra-low power consumption, (iii) development of interface/molecular systems with advanced functions, and (iv) development of quantum computation and quantum relay functions. These are further applied to quantum information processing technologies.
We are now seeking to recruit two Team Leaders who will accelerate our quantum computing research. One of them is expected to lead an experimental research team on superconducting quantum circuits and hybrid quantum systems for the implementation of quantum error-correction codes towards realization of fault-tolerant quantum computing. The other will lead a theory team on quantum computing and quantum software in close collaboration with the MEXT Q-LEAP Flagship Project on superconducting quantum computers.
For more information about the Q-LEAP Flagship Project, please refer to the following Website:
MEXT - Quantum Leap Flagship Program(MEXT Q-LEAP)
Job title and Job description
Team Leader, 2 positions
We accept applications for a Team Leader who will conduct research on quantum computing, according to the abovementioned "Research Field". It is possible that the positions are withdrawn if there is no appropriate candidate.
Applicants should be a young researcher who is expected to produce prominent achievements in the field of quantum computing and have sufficient ability to lead the research team. There is no nationality restriction for the applicants.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako Branch (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation to a maximum of March 31,2030.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50).
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Application and required documents
- 1.Curriculum vitae or Curriculum vitae (with photograph and e-mail address)
* Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W20045).
- 2.List of publications and invited talks (five major papers should be specified.)
- 3.Reprints (pdf files) of the above major papers
- 4.Summary of major achievements to date and research proposal in future (five or less pages A4 sized paper in total)
- 5.Two letters of recommendation
(The address of the letter of recommendation shall be “Hiroshi Matsumoto, President, RIKEN”.)
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address. (Recommendation letters should be sent to the contact address directly by the recommenders.)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Application must arrive by 5:00 p.m. on August 29 (Sat), 2020 (Japan standard time)
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
At the earliest possible time after October 1, 2020.
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Superconducting Quantum Electronics Research Team
E-mail: qc-application [at] ml.riken.jp