Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (W20029)
The team works on the development of new organic polymer materials and their application to organic electronic devices and functional thin films. Specifically, we seek the methodology and molecular design to control the precise structure in molecular- and nano-scale at our will and try to find breakthroughs to drastically enhance the performance of the materials. Targets of our research are not only the conventional organic solar cells and field-effect transistors, but also the new molecular design that draws the maximum potential in the electronic properties of the polymer thin films.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
We are seeking postdoctoral researchers with strong background on the related fields of (1) the development of organic semiconducting materials by using computational chemistry methods, or (2) the synthesis and characterizations of organic semiconducting materials. Regarding (1), we seek a researcher who has a broad knowledge of chemistry and can carry out research focusing on the consistency between experiments and calculations. Regarding (2), in addition to the skill of organic synthesis, we seek those who has experience and interest in structure control in thin solid films and molecular design for this purpose.
Applicants must have a doctor degree (or are expected to have until the employment), and experience of post-doctoral research of less than 5 years. The researchers who have experience and interest in (1) study on synthesis of polymer materials and their electronic properties or (2) study on organic semiconducting materials and devices are wanted.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 5 years*1 of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities.When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
* Write the RIKEN job ad number “W20029”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.PDF files of major papers (up to five)
- 4.Summary of major achievements to date and research proposal in future (two pages of A4 sized paper in total)
- 5.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to keisuke.tajima [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to keisuke.tajima [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled.
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
At the earliest possible time
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science (CEMS)
Emergent Functional Polymers Research Team
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: keisuke.tajima [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please contact by email.