Seeking a Team Leader (indefinite-term employment position) (M21Y03)
Mission of the Team
RIKEN invites applications for the position of Team Leader (indefinite-term employment position) to serve in a leadership position in the following research area. The successful candidate will be responsible for directing research projects from a medium- to long-term perspective.
Field: Integration of molecular physiology of photosynthesis and metabolic engineering
A research area that integrates advanced technologies in synthetic biology, such as genome sequencing, genome mining, genome editing, genome synthesis, information science and computational chemistry for metabolic engineering, etc., based on understanding the molecular physiology of photosynthesis in plants and/or photosynthetic microorganisms.
The Center for Sustainable Resource Science (CSRS) is committed to five flagship projects from 2018, the start of the current mid-term goals and plan period, which are Innovative Plant Biotechnology, Metabolic Genome Engineering, Innovative Catalysts, Leading-edge Polymers, Advanced Research and Technology Platform, along with the goals of the UN-adopted Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and COP21. Among them, the Metabolic Genome Engineering project makes effective use of diverse genetic resources to establish the field of "Sustainable Resource Science" through the efficient creation, exploration, and utilization of useful materials, sustainable biotechnology, and other environmentally friendly "goods".
Job title, available positions
Team Leader: 1 position
Applicants should have appropriate research experience supported by a distinguished research record and the ability to play a pivotal role in the research area. RIKEN welcomes applications from overseas candidates.
Branch and address
RIKEN Yokohama branch (1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku,Yokohama 230-0045)
Salary and benefits
The post is an indefinite-term employment position, subject to RIKEN's mandatory retirement age of 60. There is a re-employment program to hire individuals as fixed-term employees from age 60 to age 65. After evaluation, it is possible to keep the principal investigator position until age 65. This position does NOT offer a retirement allowance.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50). Supervisors may instruct employees to work outside of these hours.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available)
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN may require changes of responsibilities, job category, and work place based on RIKEN regulations due to management decisions, budgetary situation, and organizational restructuring.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Rights and responsibilities
- Required to participate in RIKEN management activities in addition to conducting research in the area described above as a laboratory head.
- Eligible to apply for competitive funding from within and outside RIKEN.
- Eligible to host indefinite-term researchers, fixed-term researchers, Special Postdoctoral Researchers and Junior Research Associates.
- Eligible to apply for the purchase of commodities, research funds, and laboratory space.
- Responsible for overseeing laboratory members, managing the laboratory budget and handling the maintenance and use of all laboratory equipment and instruments.
Application and required documents
- 1.CV (Contact email address should be provided.)
- 2.Lists of research and technical development (lists of publications, patents, presentations, etc.)
- 3.Lists of external funds received, awards received, and other achievements including, contributions to university/institution operations, contribution to society through activities in scientific societies, joint research projects, technology transfers, and the like
- 4.Outlines of your research, technical development, to date (2 pages, A4 size)
- 5.Your future research, technical development if you are accepted for the position (2 pages, A4 size)
- 6.Your ideas on how you expect to manage your team and mentor young researchers if you are accepted for the position (1 page, A4 size)
- 7.One set of copies of your main papers (maximum number: 5)
- 8.Full names and contact information including email addresses of three individuals who are able to evaluate your research
- 9.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Note: All the application documents should be prepared in English or Japanese.
How to apply
The application documents (items 1 to 9) combined into a single PDF file should be uploaded to the following Web site:
The file name of the PDF should contain your contact email address.
After you uploaded the PDF, please let us (kjk-desk [at] riken.jp) know the file name of the uploaded file.
if a confirmation email is not received within 7 days after submission, please contact to kjk-desk [at] riken.jp.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
The application must arrive no later than noon, September 15, 2020 (Japan Standard Time)
Handling Personal Data
After application documents are screened, only the successful candidates will be asked to have an interview.The interview will be held on October 27.
There will be final interviews with RIKEN executive directors as part of the hiring process.
Start of Employment
RIKEN expects that the successful applicant will be able to take up this position at the earliest opportunity on or after April 1, 2021.
Upon appointment, a start-up expenses for the laboratory and research funds including personnel expenses will be allocated.
For inquiries concerning the research
Email: ken.shirasu [at] riken.jp
Dr. Ken Shirasu
Dupty director, RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science
For other inquiries
Email: kjk-desk [at] riken.jp
Contact by phone is not available.