Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Associate (W20061)
The Center for Advanced Intelligence Project has been launched with subsidy from Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan for “Advanced Integrated Intelligence Platform Project (AIP) -Artificial Intelligence/ Big Data/ Internet of Things/ Cybersecurity-”.
The Center conducts fundamental theoretical research and develops an innovative technology, with the aim to advance science and contribute to society or humanity.
This Center is a project with a maximum of 10 years from FY 2016.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Approximate Bayesian Inference Team | RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Job title and job description
Job Title and Available Positions
Opening for a Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Associate, 1 (one) position
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Conducts the team’s/other research efforts under the mentoring and guidance of supervisors.
- Research Associate
- Carries out research projects under the guidance of supervisors.
In principle, a Postdoctoral Researcher will be hired on the basis that they have received their doctoral degree within the past 5 years.
Research Associates are expected to receive their doctoral degree within 3 years after being hired and, in principle, will be hired as a Postdoctoral Researcher once they receive their doctoral degree.
The candidate will focus on the development of new Bayesian Machine-Learning methods. The candidate will work on problems at the intersection of deep learning, Bayesian inference, optimization, and reinforcement learning.
The candidate is expected to carry out research and publish their findings in top machine-learning conferences. Postdoctoral candidates will additionally help in the management of the group, and supervision of internship students and technical staffs. The position is meant to further the careers of early-career researchers who wish to pursue a career in academia.
- -The candidate already possesses a doctoral degree or is expecting to receive a doctoral degree in machine learning, computer science, statistical science or a related field.
- -The candidate must have published their research in machine-learning conferences (NIPS, ICML, AIStats, UAI, ICLR, etc.).
- Be an expert in one or more of the following areas: Bayesian Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Optimization, Reinforcement Learning, Active learning, Life-long Learning, and Bayesian Optimization.
- -Must be proactive, cooperative, flexible, and able to respond according to the circumstances.
- -Must also have good communication skills and be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel within/outside of the laboratory in order to fulfill his/her tasks.
Branch and address
RIKEN Tokyo Campus (1-4-1,Nihonbashi,Chuo,Tokyo)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable, and based on evaluation, up until March 31,2022.
Collaboration project with companies “Development of Trusted Data-driven Simulation technology” (Until March 31, 2022)
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, workload at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals exceeding the age of 65.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment are considered a trial period.
Salary will commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai) is mandatory.
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas are available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both female and male staff are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, female applicants will be given preference.
Also, staff are eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003 and are also eligible to apply for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
* Write the RIKEN job ad code “W20061” (indicated in the parenthesis next to the job title) in the RIKEN job ad code section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of publications: Circle titles of three major papers in the list.
- 3.Photocopies of three major research papers.
- 4.Two different letters of recommendation including one by the current supervisor
- If you cannot obtain a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, the same document issued by a third party is acceptable.
- Letters of recommendation must be addressed to:
Director of RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Stamp or signature by referee is necessary.
- Referees must directly send letters of recommendation 1) by postal mail to the address below after sealing, or 2) by email attached with a letter of recommendation with stamp or signature in PDF format, to the address below.
- 5.Past research and research plan (3 pages in A4 size).
Your research plan must include outcome expected within a few years from your appointment (maximum 5 years).
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Applicants must contact the Center for Advanced Intelligence Project before they submit the required documents in PDF format by Email to the bellow Email address.
Please use the subject line “W20061_your name_the position that you are applying for” when you apply (example “W20061_Hanako Riken_ Postdoctoral Researcher”).
Also, the document names for the letters of recommendation must be “Letter of recommendation_your name” (example: “Letter of recommendation_Hanako Riken”). You need to ask your referees to use this document name for the letter.
Application documents will not be returned.
No information can be released regarding application status or evaluation details prior to, during, or after the evaluation process.
Open until the position is filled
Handling of Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Only people who pass the application screening will be interviewed.
Start of employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Nihonbashi 1-chome Mitsui Building, 15th floor,
1-4-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0027, Japan
Email: aip-hr [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of October 16, 2020: "Research Field"