Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist (W20092)
Our research team aims at research and development of advanced laser processing which realizes low environmental load, high quality, high efficiency fabrication of materials. Specifically, by using femtosecond and picosecond lasers that emit ultrashort pulses with an extremely high peak intensity, we develop the techniques enabling three-dimensional micro/nanofabrication, nanofabrication far beyond the diffraction limit, and surface nanostructuring, which are applied to functionalization of materials surfaces and also fabrication of biochips and high function photonic and electronic microdevices.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist one position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Development of high-performance femtosecond laser processing and applications.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in the related field and research experience of photonics and laser applications, in particular, laser processing, or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree in the related field with research experience of photonics and laser applications, in particular, processing before the work start date.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of 7 years of employment (a maximum of 5 years for Postdoctoral Researcher).
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5.When the Employee's research is scheduled for review in the Employee's 5years from the original date of hire at RAP, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
Use RIKEN CV Form. * Write the open call ID “W20092”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.One letter of recommendation including from the current supervisor (If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted）
- 4.Up to 5 set of copies of your major papers
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to ksugioka [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to ksugioka [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled.
Handling personal data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
Advanced Laser Processing Research Team, RIKEN Center for Advanced Photonics
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: ksugioka [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.