Seeking a Postdoctoral Researchers or a Research Scientist (W20096)
Our research team focuses on the design, synthesis, and application of functional π-materials. Our ultimate goal is to explore the frontier of materials science with such organic molecules by elucidating their molecular-scientific aspects, design principal, and device applications.
Specifically, we are conducting a wide range of research from material development by synthetic chemistry, device fabrication/evaluation, such as organic transistors and solar cells, to development of molecular design and thin film fabrication process, structural analysis and physical property evaluation.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Emergent Molecular Function Research Team | RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Research on functional π-electron compounds, including design, synthesis, characterization of new π-conjugated materials, and fabrication/evaluation of organic devices.
Additional duties for smooth conduction of researches including publication of research papers.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree from the field of organic materials, organic semiconducting devices, or in the related fields. Or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree in the above fields before the work start date. Experience of post-doctoral research must be less than 5 years.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 10 years (Research Scientist) or to a maximum 5 years (Postdoctoral Researcher) of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5.When the Employee's research is scheduled for review in the Employee's 5 years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *RIKEN CV: Write the open call ID “W20096”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- *Original CV: Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W20096).
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable)
- 4.5 set of copies of your major papers (no more than five)
- 5.Summary of the achievements and future plans (5 pages of A4 sheets)
- 6.Name, affiliation, title, phone number, email address of the recommender and two references
- 7.Contact information to which the result will be informed (email address or address)
- 8.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to takimiya [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to takimiya [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
Emergent Molecular Function Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: takimiya [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.