Seeking a Senior Research Scientist or Research Scientist (20R55)
Research Field and Overview
Our team works on developing mathematical methods to elucidate the causal mechanisms underlying natural phenomena and human behavior. In particular, we develop statistical methods for estimating causal relationships from observational data that are obtained from other sources than randomized experiments and construct a new methodology that goes beyond the conventional limits. We also aim to contribute to the solution of problems in basic sciences such as natural and social sciences and applied sciences such as engineering and medicine by collaborating with people in those fields.
Senior Research Scientist or Research Scientist: 1 position
The position at the time of hiring will be determined through the selection process.
The research scientist will carry out theoretical research (50% effort) and applied research (50%). Theoretical research focuses on new fundamental technologies motivated by the challenges in various basic and applied sciences. Applied research involves collaborations with other RIKEN teams working on various scientific fields including life science, neuroscience, and epidemiology, and is aimed to facilitate and support their researches from the methodological viewpoint.
The successful candidate is expected to conduct research and development on topics specified above and to contribute to the management of the laboratory. Senior Research Scientist is also expected to assist the laboratory head.
Doctoral degree (or equivalent research ability and background) in the relevant research field.
Initial work location
Branch and address
RIKEN on Yoshida campus of Kyoto University
(Yoshida-honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto)
Conditions, Salary and Benefits
Type of employment
The post is an indefinite-term employment position, subject to RIKEN's mandatory retirement age of 60. There is a re-employment program to hire individuals as fixed-term employees from age 60 to age 65. This position does NOT offer a retirement allowance.
As an exception, depending on screening results, the successful candidate may be initially employed on a fixed-term employment contract up to a maximum of 5 years with the possibility of being promoted to indefinite-term employment after a separate review process that will take place, as a general rule, at the end of the first 3 years of employment. Remuneration and work conditions for fixed-term employment are based on the same conditions as those for indefinite-term employment.
Remuneration and other provisions
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
Eligible to apply for Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003.
RIKEN may instruct changes of workplace or assignment due to closure of the laboratory or other management decisions.
Application and required documents
- A) Applicant registration
To register, access the website noted below, and enter the required basic information.
RIKEN Recruitment and selection system (Causal Inference Team, AIP Research Scientist or Senior Research Scientist)
- B) After you have registered online you will automatically be sent an email from kjk-desk [at] spdr-fpr.com with your user ID, registration number, and password. Go to the website indicated in the email and upload your application documents (1) -(6).
You may revise your basic information and upload revised documents later if necessary. Please double check, however, that you have successfully uploaded your final application documents by the deadline.
All files must first be converted to PDF format before you can upload them. Word files cannot be uploaded.
- (1)Research and development achievements (list of publications, list of patents, list of presentations etc.)
- (2)Lists of external funds received, awards received, and other achievements including contribution to society through activities in scientific societies, joint research projects, technology transfers, and the like.
- (3)Outlines of your research and development projects to date (3 pages, A4 size)
- (4)Your future research and development plans and perspectives if you are accepted for the position (3 pages in A4 size in total)
- (5)One set of copies of your major papers (maximum number: 5)
- (6)Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
- (7)Letters of recommendation from two persons who can evaluate your work
- One letter must be from your current supervisor or academic advisor.
- Another letter must be from a person who is not affiliated with RIKEN.
All the application documents including letters of recommendation should be prepared in English or Japanese, and uploaded in PDF format. Documents may be in black and white or color.
About letters of recommendation
Letters of recommendation should be directly sent to RIKEN by the referee. A request for a letter of recommendation will be automatically sent to the email addresses for references that you list when you register to apply. Please check if your referees have received the email request automatically sent from kjk-desk [at] spdr-fpr.com. You can also check on the status of your letters of recommendation through the online application system.
If none of your current supervisors or academic advisors are able to prepare a letter of recommendation, a letter from a third person will be accepted.
There is no set format for the letters of recommendation but they must meet the following conditions: they must be addressed to the President of RIKEN, Hiroshi Matsumoto, and include the date of issue. The letters of recommendation must bear the signature and/or seal of the person writing the letter.
For applicant registration:
Noon, December 1, 2020 (Japan time).
For revising or uploading application documents and letters of recommendation:
Noon, December 8, 2020 (Japan time).
Handling of personal information
All private data sent to RIKEN in applications for employment are handled in strict confidentiality, and will not be used for any other purpose or disclosed to any third party.
After application documents are screened, only the successful candidates will be asked to have an interview. There will be final interviews with RIKEN executive directors as part of the hiring process.
Start of Employment
RIKEN expects that the successful applicant will be able to take up this position at the earliest opportunity after June 1, 2021.
- No information can be released regarding application status or evaluation details prior to, during, or after the evaluation process.
- Application documents will not be returned.
- For further details on application or research activities at RIKEN, see the RIKEN website:
- RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
For inquiries concerning the research
Dr. Shohei Shimizu (Team Leader)
Email: shohei.shimizu [at] riken.jp
For other inquiries
Research Personnel Affairs Section
Human Resources Division, RIKEN
Email: kjk-desk [at] riken.jp
Contact by phone is not available.