Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (W20109)
The team carries out theoretical study of condensed matter physics. Keywords of interest are spintronics, material design, electromagnetic metamaterials, active biological materials and non-equilibrium phenomena.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Spin Physics Theory Research Team | RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher 1 position
(Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.)
Theoretical studies using analytical and/or numerical methods.
Applicants should have a PhD in physics or are expected to have a PhD in physics before the employment.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako Branch (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 3 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV (with photograph and email address)
*Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W20109).
- 2.List of publications
- 3.Statement of research experience and plans (up to five pages)
- 4.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.）
- 5.Copies of up to five or three your selected publications
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to gen.tatara [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to gen.tatara [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
The earliest is Dec. 1st, 2020. Negotiable, open until the position is filled.
Contact Information / Send application to
Spin Physics Theory Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: gen.tatara [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of Oct 19, 2020: "Required documents"