Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (CSRS-2007)
Our unit performs the following scientific researches.
- 1.Dissection of signaling cascades in plant response to potassium
Our unit aims to elucidate the components of plant potassium sensing and deficiency signaling in Arabidopsis using various approaches.
- 2.Characterization of potassium/sodium channels in various systems
Potassium and sodium have similar chemical property that belong to alkali I metal group. In order to understand how seaweeds but not land plants survive in salt water, we are studying differences of sodium channels and potassium channels between algae and dicotyledonous land plants.
- 3.Development of new methods for radiocesium remediation and analyses of regulatory components for phytoremediation
In order to develop efficient phytoremediation system for radioactive cesium in Fukushima area, we aim to develop plants which selectively and more (less) efficiently absorb cesium from contaminated soil. In addition, chemical screenings to elucidate the chemicals which affect cesium uptake in plants has been conducted. From the results obtained, the regulatory components of cesium uptake in plants are being studied.
- 4.Development of abiotic stresses tolerance plants
Abiotic stresses including nutrient deficiency and salt stress result in huge loss of plant growth and crop production. As solving these problems, we aim to develop the abiotic stresses tolerance plants using various approaches including molecular, physiological, and chemical approaches.
Note: For more details about the lab, please refer to the following Website:
Environmental Response Research Unit website
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher* ,one position
*Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
A postdoctoral position is available for a highly motivated and capable postdoctoral researcher to investigate environmental stress using molecular biology, physiology, biochemistry and reverse genetics in Arabidopsis and marine algae.
Postdoctoral Researcher: Carries out research and other work in accordance with unit's research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
- The candidate should possess a doctoral degree of 5 years or less in a related field.
- The person should have experiences and knowledge of Plant molecular biology, biochemistry and physiology.
- It is better to have knowledge and experiences of chemical biology or membrane protein.
- Must be able to engage in the research in a coordinated manner.
- It is required that the person can smoothly communicate with other collaborators in and out of our laboratory, and can cooperate with them.
RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science (Yokohama Campus)
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama City, Kanagawa 230-0045, Japan
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 5 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.In principle, the center is set to continue its research to the end of the Mid- to Long-term Plan (7 years from April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2025).
However, if it is decided that the research project with which the Employee is involved will not be continued, the above provision on continuation of the “research center, laboratory or project” applies and there will be no re-employment for FY 2025 (from April 1, 2025)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Prepare the documents below as PDF files and send them to the address in Contact Information below.
- *Write “Application Documents; [(CSRS-2007)] Environmental Response Research Unit Postdoctoral Researcher" in the subject line.
- *Note: If the submission requirements are not met, your application will not be received.
- *Note: Application documents will not be returned.
- 1.Complete CV or CV
- *Using the RIKEN format above is appreciated.
- *Please write Open-call ID [CSRS-2007], e-mail address and the position you are applying for.
- 2.List of research achievements. (Publications, Presentations, awards and others.).
- *Also attach one copy of recent paper of the research field relevant to the field of the applicant applies for.
- 3.Previous research and future research plan (A4, 2 pages)
- 4.A letter of recommendation from the PI of current laboratory
- *The letter should be addressed to the Center for Sustainable Resource Science, Director.
- *A recommendation from a third party is allowed when it is difficult for the candidate to obtain a recommendation from the PI of current laboratory.
- *The signature (or seal) of the person providing the recommendation is required. In the case of scanned or digital signature or an email letter of recommendation, please be sure to include contact information.
- *If the person providing the recommendation will send the letter directly, please send it to the address indicated in "Contact Information" below.
- 5.Certificate of graduation for the highest level of education achieved or copy of said diploma
- 6.Contact detail of one or two reference.
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Open until the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews (remote or face-to-face).
*Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted via email after document screening.
Start of Employment
Earliest date possible (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Environmental Response Research Unit, RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science
Unit Leader, Ryoung Shin (Ph.D.)
Email: ryoung.shin [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.