Postdoctoral Researchers (W20116)
This laboratory develops and utilizes the most advanced spectroscopy for molecular science of fundamental and complex systems in the condensed phase. To elucidate a variety of complex phenomena occurring in the condensed phase, we clarify the electronic and vibrational states of molecules, the response of surroundings, and the fluctuation and dissipation of energy behind. Based on this view, we carry out fundamental research using the most advanced linear/nonlinear spectroscopic methods with most suitable time- and space-resolution for the problems to be studied.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher: 1-2 positions
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
The position conducts research in one of the following three categories:
- 1.Study of complex molecular systems by ultrafast spectroscopy
- 2.Study of interfacial phenomena by nonlinear spectroscopy
- 3.Study of biomolecules by single molecule spectroscopy
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree (or should be expected to have a doctoral degree before the starting date) in a related research field. Experience on molecular science using advanced spectroscopy will be advantageous. In particular, young researchers willing to carry out challenging research on interfaces using ultrashort lasers are most welcome.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of 5 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee's abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee's center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee's period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
* Write the RIKEN job ad number “W20116”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, int the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation
(If the current supervisor's recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- 4.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to tahei [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters can be emailed directly from the reference to tahei [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible after April 1, 2020.
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research
Molecular Spectroscopy Laboratory (Tahei TAHARA)
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako-shi, Saitama 351-0198
Email: tahei [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.