Seeking a Laboratory Head (indefinite-term employment position) (M21Y07)
Research field and overview
RIKEN's research is based on synthesis and interdisciplinary activity, with free thinking as its basic philosophy. RIKEN promotes research that goes beyond the boundaries of conventional research fields, while at the same time responding to the needs of society from a strategic perspective.
RIKEN invites applications for the position of Laboratory Head (indefinite-term employment position) to serve in a leadership position in the following research area. The successful candidate will be responsible for directing research projects from a mid-to-long-term perspective.
Field: Medical Genomics and Informatics
The area of research aims at identification of drug targets and drug effects by deciphering cellular networks through the use of genomic technologies, genomic data and computational biology. The successful candidate is expected to introduce original computational biology technologies, ranging from artificial intelligence, deep learning and other computational approaches to analyze large datasets, including genomics, transcriptomics, single cell atlases, promoter atlases, interactomes, protein structures and other omics data. The goal is developing novel approaches of intervention in human health, which may include nucleic acids-based approaches, viral vectors, or classic small molecules drugs.
RIKEN Center for Integrative Medical Sciences (IMS) provides laboratory heads with a supportive environment for their independent research, including start-up packages and annual research funds.
For an overview of IMS, please visit the IMS website.
Laboratory Head: 1 position
Applicants must have an outstanding research record and the ability to be an international leader in the above research field. We welcome applicants of all nationalities.
Branch and address
RIKEN Yokohama Campus (1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 230-0045)
Salary and benefits
The post is an indefinite-term employment position, subject to RIKEN's mandatory retirement age of 60. There is a re-employment program to hire individuals as fixed-term employees from age 60 to age 65. After a positive evaluation, it is possible to keep the laboratory head position until age 65. This position does NOT offer retirement benefits.
In principle, the first two months of employment are considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai) is mandatory.
Work hours: 9:00 to 17:20 (lunch break 12:00 to 12:50).
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN may require changes in responsibilities, job category and workplace based on RIKEN regulations due to management decisions, the budgetary situation and/or organizational restructuring.
RIKEN promotes a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, female applicants will be given preference.
Staff are also eligible for an exemption from repayment of category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003 and are also eligible to apply for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Rights and responsibilities
- Required to participate in RIKEN management activities in addition to conducting research in the area described above as a laboratory head.
- Eligible to apply for competitive funding from within and outside RIKEN.
- Eligible to host indefinite-term staff, fixed-term staff, Special Postdoctoral Researchers and Junior Research Associates.
- Eligible to apply for the purchase of commodities, research funds, and laboratory space.
- Responsible for overseeing laboratory members, managing the laboratory budget and handling the maintenance and use of all laboratory equipment and instruments.
Application and required documents
All of the application documents should be prepared in English.
- 1.CV (include your contact email address)
- 2.List of your research and technical developments (i.e., lists of publications, patents, selected presentations, etc.)
- 3.List of external funds acquired, awards received, and other achievements including, contributions to university/institution operations, contribution to society through activities in academic societies, joint research projects, technology transfers, etc.
- 4.Outline of your research and technical developments to date (2 pages, A4 size)
- 5.Your future plan and its background for research and technical development if you are accepted for the position (5 pages, A4 size)
- 6.Your ideas on how you expect to manage your laboratory and mentor and support the professional development of young researchers if you are appointed to the position (1 page, A4 size)
- 7.One set of reprints of your major publications (maximum number: 5)
- 8.Full names and contact information, including email addresses, of three individuals who are able to evaluate your research
- 9.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
The application documents (items 1 to 9) should be merged into a single PDF file and uploaded to the following Web site:
RIKEN Upload Folder
The file name of the PDF should contain your contact email address.
After you upload the PDF, please send an email to kjk-desk [at] riken.jp with information on the name of the uploaded file.
If you do not receive a confirmation email within 7 days after submission, please contact: kjk-desk [at] riken.jp.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
The application must arrive no later than noon, February 2, 2021 (Japan Standard Time)
Handling of personal data
Only candidates who pass the initial document screening will be invited for an interview. The interview will be held on March 24, 2021.
As a part of the hiring process, there will also be a final interview with RIKEN executive directors.
Start of employmen
October 1, 2021 or the earliest opportunity after this date.
For research-related inquiries:
Email: m21y07 [at] ml.riken.jp
The Selection Committee for Medical Genomics and Informatics
For other inquiries:
Email: kjk-desk [at] riken.jp
Research Personnel Affairs Section,
Human Resources Division, RIKEN
Inquiries by phone will not be accepted.