Seeking Postdoctoral Researchers (W20131)
The Quantum Function System Research Group aims at developing novel concepts and electronics bases for semiconductor nanostructures. One of the major research topics include physics and technology of topological phases realized in superconductor-semiconductor heterostructure, such as Majorana Fermions. We have newly started an experimental research project on non-abelian anyons, aiming for realization of robust platform of the non-abelian anyons and the electrical control to demonstrate the non-abelian statistics. Applications of those who have experimental expertise about semiconductor devices such as graphene, topological insulators, and TMDC and quantum transport at low temperature are greatly encouraged.
For more information, please visit following webpage:
Quantum Functional System Research Group | RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
We expect applications of Postdoctoral Researchers for the following topics:
- 1.Fabrication and characterization of superconductor-semiconductor nanostructures
- 2.Experiments of quantum transport at low temperature
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree, or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree before the work start date.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 5 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
*Write the open call ID “W20131”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- 4.PDF files of major papers (up to five)
- 5.Summary of major achievements to date and research proposal in future (3-5 pages of A4 sized paper in total)
Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to sosato [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to sosato [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
Quantum Functional System Research Group, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: sosato [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.