Seeking a Research Scientist (CCO2001)
The Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (BDR) views the functions of molecules, cells, and organs that support all life stages of organisms as a dynamic system, and aims to elucidate developmental, growth and aging phenomena as well as apply their findings to develop regenerative medicine and diagnostics, thereby contributing to the extension of healthy life expectancies.
The Laboratory for Comparative Connectomics aims to elucidate brain function by comparing structures of various neural circuits. As a model, we are comprehensively mapping connection patterns of hypothalamic neurons underlying various social behaviors by viral and genetic tools that permits visualizing fine-scale neural circuits.
Given the epidemic of COVID19 which severely disrupts international research interactions, we will in particular consider the following as a strong candidate of this job opportunity: 1) Those who have (temporarily) given up studying abroad and are seeking a domestic researcher position in Japan, or 2) those who are currently studying outside Japan but are looking for an early return position. Please feel free to contact Kazunari.miyamichi [at] riken.jp if you would like to discuss this and your potential project in advance.
Job title and Job description
Number of positions
We are looking for a productive and enterprising researcher who is an expert in the field of neuroscience. The successful candidate will be expected to undertake a multifaceted research approach to understand the neural circuit dynamics in life stage transitions, such as sexual maturation, pregnancy, parenthood, and aging. Developing a new viral-genetic tools to expand the scope of neuroscience will also be appreciated. The successful candidate will be required to carry out independent research using state-of-the-art viral genetic tools and animal facilities as well as lead and coordinate collaborative research projects involving RIKEN and non-RIKEN researchers.
Doctoral degree (or equivalent research ability and background) in the relevant research field.
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Kobe Campus)
2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0047 (Developmental Biology Buildings)
Salary and benefits
- 1.One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to March 2028.
- 2.However, the contract renewable period may be changed on the basis of the employee’s abilities, work load, performance, work attitude, continuation of the center, laboratory or project in which the employee is involved, and on the basis of RIKEN’s finance situation and budget condition at the time. In principle, no contract renewal will be made for people 66 years old or older.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program> by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before the fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Curriculum vitae
- *Application Number [CCO2001] and position to apply (Research Scientist) should be clearly written at top-right in the margin.
- *No format specified. Please make sure to include applicant’s name, nationality, academic background, work history including the applicant’s current affiliation, and email address. Other information that is not necessary for selection, such as the applicant’s current address, the date of birth, age, sex and marital status, is not required.
- 2.List of publications (Please categorize : Original article, Review article, Book, Conference presentation, Others)
- 3.Summary of past research and the result (about 2 pages of A4 paper)
- 4.Plans for the future research once appointed (about 1 page of A4 paper)
- 5.One reference letter from immediate manager or current supervisor
- *If it is difficult to obtain reference letter from immediate manager or current supervisor, please obtain a letter from a third party.
- *A reference letter should be addressed to "Center Director, Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research"
Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
*Please understand that we will not return application documents.
We will examine application documents as they are accepted. Application will be closed as soon as the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interview. After documents screening, only successful applicants will be invited for interview.
*We do not answer to questions regarding contents of the examination.
Start of employment
Around April 2021 (Negotiable)
Contact information and Send application to
Send application materials (PDF format) to Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
The Email title should be: "[CCO2001] Application for Research Scientist of Laboratory for Comparative Connectomics".
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact kazunari.miyamichi [at] riken.jp (Laboratory for Comparative Connectomics, Dr. Kazunari Miyamichi)