Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (W20163)
Based on rational design or screening from chemical library, we discover novel molecules that regulate a variety of biological processes. We aim to utilize these molecules for understanding biological mechanism and contributing global issues.
For more information, please refer to the Molecular Bioregulation Research Team's website.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher 1 or 2 positions
Design, synthesis, and evaluation of bioactive compounds.
Postdoctoral Researcher: Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
The candidate should possess a Ph.D. of 5 years or less, or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of employment.
In order to pursue our research goals written above, we seek for highly motivated researcher with vitality to create new research fields.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako Branch
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198, Japan
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 5 years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.In principle, the center is set to continue its research to the end of the Mid- to Long-term Plan (7 years from April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2025).
However, if it is decided that the research project with which the Employee is involved will not be continued, the above provision on continuation of the “research center, laboratory or project” applies and there will be no re-employment for FY 2025 (from April 1, 2025).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W20163”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
Also attach a copy of recent papers of the research field
- 3.Previous research and future research plan (2 pages in A4 size)
- 4.Certificate of graduation for the highest level of education achieved or copy of said diploma
- 5.Letter of recommendation from the PI of current laboratory
- *The letter should be addressed to the director of Center for Sustainable Resource Science.
- *A recommendation from a third party is allowed when it is difficult for the candidate to obtain a recommendation from the current supervisor.
- 6.Contact details of one reference
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to csrs-mbr-recruitment [at] ml.riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to csrs-mbr-recruitment [at]ml.riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science
Molecular Bioregulation Research Team
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: csrs-mbr-recruitment [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.