Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (W20161)
The main focus of research is theoretical study of condensed matter physics based mostly on various computational methods.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher 1 position
(Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.)
Theoretical study of spin current generation by controlling interface electronic and atomic structures in nanostructured hetero materials. A successful candidate is expected to perform first-principles electronic structure calculations for functional graded materials and hydrodynamics analysis of spin current generation via the spin-vorticity coupling, in close collaboration with other members of the project, including Prof. Sadamichi Maekawa (RIKEN) and Prof. Yukio Nozaki (Keio University).
Applicants should have a PhD in physics or are expected to have a PhD in physics before the employment. Experience of first-principles electronic structure calculations and/or theoretical study of spintronics is required.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, until the end of the project (March 31, 2025).
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and Required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the open call ID “W20161”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of publications (including scientific papers, invited talks, oral presentations, poster presentations, external funds, and prizes and awards)
- 3.Statement of research experience and plans (up to five pages)
- 4.At least one letter of recommendation, including a letter from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 5.Copies of up to five your selected publications
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to yunoki [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to yunoki [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of employment
As earliest as possible (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Computational Condensed Matter Physics Laboratory, RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: yunoki [at] riken.jp