Seeking Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist (W20180)
The Strong Correlation Materials Research Group aims at studying emergent properties of materials and understanding their mechanisms. We develop new functionality based on the topology of magnetism in strongly-correlated electron materials, such as transition-metal oxides, intermetallic compounds, and layered materials. To this end, we search and synthesize a wide range of compounds using various methods, including CZ, FZ, and high-pressure techniques, and investigate their physical properties and response to external stimuli.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher* or Research Scientist** 2 positions
- * Applicants who received a doctoral degree within the last 5 years
- ** Applicants who received a doctoral degree 5 or more years ago.
The successful candidate will explore new magnetic materials that exhibit skyrmions and other topological spin textures, and will investigate their properties, such as magnetic structures and quantum transport phenomena, in close collaboration with Dr. Max Hirschberger (Unit Leader, Topological Quantum Matter Research Unit, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science), following the research plan of “New paradigm of the topological-magnetism science for the beyond-skyrmion era” (PI : Dr. Xiuzhen Yu, Team Leader, Electronic States Microscopy Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science) in the Research Area of "Creation of Core Technology based on the Topological Materials Science for Innovative Devices" (Research Supervisor: Prof. Masahito Ueda, Univ. of Tokyo), JST CREST
Applicants must have a doctoral degree (or are expected to receive their degree by the time of employment) in condensed matter physics.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to March 31, 2026.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5.When the Employee's research is scheduled for review in the Employee's 5 years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Curriculum vitae or Curriculum vitae (with photo and email address)
- *Write the open call ID “W20180”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements (publications and invited talks)
- 3.PDF files of five major papers
- 4.Summary of major achievements to date and research proposal in future (five or less pages in total, A4 sized paper)
- 5.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(The letter should be in a PDF format, and sent to the contact email address directly from the recommender. If this is difficult, a letter from a scientist who knows the applicant well can be accepted.)
- 6.List of the names and contact information (affiliation, position, phone number, and e-mail address) of the recommender and two people who can further evaluate your work
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application documents by email to y-taguchi [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to y-taguchi [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible after April 1st, 2021 (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Group Director, Dr. Yasujiro Taguchi
Strong Correlation Materials Research Group, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: y-taguchi [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.