Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (W20212)
We work on the development of biologically inspired catalysts and their application to energy conversion and production systems. Specifically, we aim to understand nature’s ingenuity towards multielectron transfer catalysis, electron/proton transport, metabolic regulation, responsiveness to external stimuli, and energy management in deep sea environments to develop the novel materials and systems necessary to effectively manage renewable energy sources.
Note: For more details about the lab, please refer to the Biofunctional Catalyst Research Team's Website.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Postdoctoral Researcher, One position
In order to pursue our research goals written above, we seek for highly motivated researcher with vitality.
The candidate should have an enough ability and experience either in Catalytic Chemistry, Electrochemistry, Computational Science, or Information Science.
Postdoctoral Researcher: Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
- Applicants must have a doctor degree in related fields, or are expected to have a doctor degree in related fields before the employment.
- Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
- Applicants must have expertise and experience in the abovementioned research topic.
- Applicants expected to be capable of conducting his/her research independently, with sufficient English level.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of the fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 5years of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.In principle, the center is set to continue its research to the end of the Mid- to Long-term Plan (7 years from April 1, 2018 to March 31, 2025).
However, if it is decided that the research project with which the Employee is involved will not be continued, the above provision on continuation of the "research center, laboratory or project" applies and there will be no re-employment for FY 2025 (from April 1, 2025).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equity Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number “W20212, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.Research achievements
Also attach a copy of recent papers of the research field relevant to the field of the applicant applies for.
- 3.Previous research and future research plan (2pages in A4size)
- 4.Certificate of graduation of the most recent education, or a copy of Diploma
- 5.A letter of recommendation (from the current supervisor)
- *The letter should be addressed to the director of Center for Sustainable Resource Science.
- *recommendation from a third party is allowed when it is difficult for the candidate to obtain a recommendation from the current supervisor.
- 6.A work/Research reference who can be contacted for an opinion.
- 7.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please make inquiries to the contact address listed below, then send the PDF formatted application by email at the same contact address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled.
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
Dr. Ryuhei Nakamura
Biofunctional Catalyst Research Team
RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science (CSRS)
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: nakamuralab-recruit [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email