Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher (W20203)
The Center for Advanced Intelligence Project has been launched with subsidy from Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan for “Advanced Integrated Intelligence Platform Project (AIP) -Artificial Intelligence/ Big Data/ Internet of Things/ Cybersecurity-”.
The Center conducts fundamental theoretical research and develops an innovative technology, with aiming to advance science and contribute to society or humanity.
This Center is a project with a maximum of 10 years from FY 2016.
AI nurturing or complementing intelligence of human are becoming much more important than ever before. Cognitive Behavioral Assistive Technology (CB-AT) Team puts emphasis on developing CB-AT which promotes cognitive reserve for prevention of cognitive decline and dementia of older adults which damage the intelligence of human necessary for social life. We develop conversational assistive AI based on Coimagination method, implement the AI to cognitive behavioral assistive systems, and evaluate the effects on human cognition and mind. Coimagination method is an image-based conversational assistive technology designed for utilizing cognitive functions which decline at mild cognitive impairment. In this context, machine learning methods applicable to the analysis of brainwave for estimating cognitive levels of older adults have been developed aiming for novel dementia digital biomarkers.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Cognitive Behavioral Assistive Technology Team | RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Job title and job descriptions
Job title, available positions
Opening for Postdoctoral Researcher, one position
Postdoctoral Researcher: Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the direction of supervisors. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Within the following projects,
- (1)The new trilateral project, including research groups from Japan, Germany, and France*
- (2)Development of cognitive behavioral assistive systems
the candidate will be engaged in a research and development consisting of:
- Research on the development of novel dementia biomarkers within cognitive training framework based on the Coimagination method developed by the team
- Design of brainwave acquisition experiments (stimulus presentation and data recording) with elderly subjects within cognitive training frameworks.
- Collection of behavioral data of at least 100 subjects through randomized controlled trials (RCT) on cognitive intervention based on Coimagination method
- Collection of brainwave data before and after the trials
- Data analysis using modern machine learning methods in collaboration with German and French project partners (Python’s MNE and BrainDecode frameworks).
- Development of evaluation of machine learning methods applicable to the analysis of brainwave for estimating cognitive levels of older adults
- Publication of original research papers, manuals and reports
- Works to promote the above research and development activities.
*The trilateral project is coordinated by JST, German Research Foundation (DFG, Germany) and The French National Research Agency (ANR, France) in the field of Artificial Intelligence. The title of the research project is “AI for Aging societies: From Basic Concepts to Practical Tools for AI Facilitated Cognitive Training”
- must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of employment
- The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in machine learning, signal processing, pattern recognition, computational neuroscience, cognitive neuroscience, neural engineering, experimental psychology, or a related field.
- The candidate is expected to have data collection or experiments with human subjects’ experience. Previous experience with EEG/fNIRS experiments would be beneficial.
- The project with international partners will include implementing and testing machine learning applications; thus, it is expected that the candidate to possess Python-language-based programming experience. Experience with deep learning frameworks available in Python would be beneficial.
- The right level of English communication skills for the internal RIKEN AIP’s and the trilateral project collaboration is also necessary.
- must be proactive, cooperative, flexible, and able to respond according to the circumstances.
- must also have good communication skills and be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel within/outside of the laboratory to fulfill the tasks.
Branch and address
RIKEN Tokyo Area (1-4-1,Nihonbashi,Chuo,Tokyo)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up until March 31, 2024, the end of the external funded project “Trilateral call for proposals Japan - Germany - France on artificial intelligence (AI)” described in the job description (1).
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
Write the RIKEN job ad number “W20203”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of publications: Circle titles of three major papers in the list.
- 3.Photocopies of three major research papers.
- 4.Two different letters of recommendation including one by the current supervisor
- If you cannot obtain a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, the same document issued by a third party is acceptable.
- Letters of recommendation must be addressed to:
“Director of RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project”
Stamp or signature by referee is necessary.
- Referees must directly send letters of recommendation 1) by postal mail to the address below after sealing, or 2) by email attached with a letter of recommendation with stamp or signature in PDF format, to the address below.
- 5.Research in the past and research plan (3 pages in A4 size)
Your research plan must include outcome expected within a few years from your appointment.
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Applicants must contact the Center for Advanced Intelligence Project before they submit the required documents in PDF format by Email to the bellow Email address.
Please use the subject line “W20203_your name_the position that you are applying for” when you apply. (Example “W20203_Hanako Riken_ Postdoctoral Researcher”)
Also, the document names for the letters of recommendation must be “Letter of recommendation_your name.” (Example: Letter of recommendation_Hanako Riken). You need to ask your referees to use this document name for the letter.
Application documents will not be returned.
No information can be released regarding application status or evaluation details prior to, during, or after the evaluation process.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Only persons who pass the application screening will be interviewed.
Start of employment
April 1st, 2021 or later (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Nihonbashi 1-chome Mitsui Building, 15th floor,
1-4-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0027, Japan
Email: aip-hr [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.