Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (W20274)
The Center for Advanced Intelligence Project has been launched with subsidy from Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan for “Advanced Integrated Intelligence Platform Project (AIP) -Artificial Intelligence/ Big Data/ Internet of Things/ Cybersecurity-”.
The Center conducts fundamental theoretical research and develops an innovative technology, with aiming to advance science and contribute to society or humanity.
This Center is a project with a maximum of 10 years from FY 2016.
This team conducts researches on several topics: tensor networks in machine learning, adversarial learning and interpretable machine learning.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Tensor Learning Team | RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Job title and job descriptions
Job title, available positions
Opening for Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher, one position
- Research Scientist
- Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the direction of supervisors. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
The candidate should conduct researches on the development of machine learning theory and algorithms. Specifically, the candidate will work on tensor network technology for machine learning and trustworthy machine learning with the aim to solve challenges in interpretability and robustness of machine learning from model, algorithm and theory perspectives. The experiences and expertise in tensor networks, interpretable machine learning, adversarial learning is highly expected.
- must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of employment.
- The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in machine learning, computer science, statistics or a related field.
- must be proactive, cooperative, flexible, and able to respond according to the circumstances.
- must also have good communication skills and be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel within/outside of the laboratory to fulfill the tasks.
Branch and address
RIKEN Tokyo Area (1-4-1,Nihonbashi,Chuo,Tokyo)
Salary and benefits
- 1. A maximum three-year, fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation. The employment duration will not exceed the end of fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment. (Maximum employment duration for a Postdoctoral Researcher is 5 years)
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number "W20274", indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of publications: Circle titles of five major papers in the list
- 3.Photocopies of three major research papers.
- 4.Two different letters of recommendation including one by the current supervisor
- If you cannot obtain a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, the same document issued by a third party is acceptable.
- Letters of recommendation must be addressed to:
Director of RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Stamp or signature by referee is necessary.
- Referees must directly send letters of recommendation 1) by postal mail to the address below after sealing, or 2) by email attached with a letter of recommendation with stamp or signature in PDF format, to the address below.
- 5.Research in the past and research plan (3 pages in A4 size)
Your research plan must include outcome expected within a few years from your appointment.
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Applicants must contact the Center for Advanced Intelligence Project before they submit the required documents in PDF format by Email to the bellow Email address.
Please use the subject line “W20274_your name_the position that you are applying for” when you apply. (Example “W20274_Hanako Riken_ Postdoctoral Researcher”)
Also, the document names for the letters of recommendation must be “Letter of recommendation_your name.” (Example: Letter of recommendation_Hanako Riken). You need to ask your referees to use this document name for the letter.
- Application documents will not be returned.
- No information can be released regarding application status or evaluation details prior to, during, or after the evaluation process.
- All the application documents including letters of recommendation should be prepared in English.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Nihonbashi 1-chome Mitsui Building, 15th floor,
1-4-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0027, Japan
Email: aip-hr [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.