Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (CPR-PS2002)
Pioneering Project (FY2020-FY2024)
RIKEN started a new pioneering project titled "Prediction for Science" in April 2020 for 5 years. For the concept of Prediction Science, refer to the next section "Research field". Researchers under this call will work together with various laboratories in theory and applications and will bring synergy and fusion among different areas, so that we pioneer a general theory of prediction, the first step toward the whole new world of "Prediction Science". To achieve the ambitious goal, the researchers under this call will spend an extended period for several months or longer in some of the participating laboratories as shown below and will work on the synergy and fusion among theory and a few application areas. We expect that the researchers under this call stay at different locations in Japan for an extended period.
List of participating laboratories:
- Prediction Science Laboratory, RIKEN Cluster for Pioneering Research/Data Assimilation Research Team, RIKEN Center for Computational Science (Kobe)
- RIKEN Interdisciplinary Theoretical and Mathematical Sciences Program (Wako)
- Disaster Resilience Science Team, RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project (Tokyo)
- Environmental Metabolic Analysis Research Team, RIKEN Center for Sustainable Resource Science (Yokohama)
- Computational Climate Science Research Team, RIKEN Center for Computational Science (Kobe)
- Medical Data Deep Learning Team, Advanced Data Science Project, RIKEN Information R&D and Strategy Headquarters (Tokyo)
- Medical Data Mathematical Reasoning Team, Advanced Data Science Project, RIKEN Information R&D and Strategy Headquarters (Yokohama)
- Laboratory for Physical Biology, RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Kobe)
The Prediction Science Laboratory pioneers a new science of prediction as the 5th paradigm fusing the computational science (3rd science) and the data science (4th science) through tight collaborations with the sister laboratory Data Assimilation Research Team, RIKEN Center for Computational Science, as well as other collaborators within and beyond RIKEN. Weather prediction is probably the most successful example of prediction by modern science by putting together human knowledge of different areas such as information and communications technology, supercomputing, mathematical modeling and simulation, sensing, and applied mathematics of dynamical systems and uncertainty quantification (UQ). Data assimilation integrates simulation and real-world data and plays a central role in numerical weather prediction. Various types of simulations beyond weather became more and more realistic due to advances of high-performance computation technology. In addition, information revolution brought the current era of Big Data and IoT (Internet of Things). The Prediction Science Laboratory will pioneer the new “Prediction Science,” the 5th science fusing the computational science and the data science, and will bring the success of weather prediction to various fields.
Job title and job descriptions
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: a few positions
The successful candidate will conduct research to pioneer the new “Prediction Science” and to develop the general theory of prediction. The specific research examples include application of data assimilation to new areas, generalization of data assimilation among multiple areas, and applied mathematics of uncertainty quantification (UQ) and topological data analysis. In this project, we collaborate with laboratories in environmental science fields (weather, climate, marine ecology) and life science fields (cell biology, medicine) for specific problems for prediction, and develop the general theory of prediction in collaboration with pure and applied mathematicians and AI and statistical scientists. We will develop new mathematical theories and methods which will serve as a basis for the new “Prediction Science”, apply these new theories and methods to various application areas, and bring virtuous feedback between theoretical developments and application studies.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree in a related field of prediction science and research experience. Experience as or equivalent to a university professor will be advantageous.
Branch and address
- RIKEN Kobe Branch
7-1-26 Minatojima-minami-machi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo, 650-0047, Japan
2-2-3 Minatojima-minami-machi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo, 650-0047, Japan
- RIKEN Wako Branch
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama, 351-0198, Japan
- RIKEN Tokyo Branch
1-4-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 103-0027, Japan
- RIKEN Yokohama Branch
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa, 230-0045, Japan
Salary and benefits
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the end of March 2025 from date of hire.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Please prepare the following documents in English.
- 1.Complete CV or CV
- *Email address is required.
- *Application Number [CPR-PS2002] and position to apply (e.g.: Research Scientist) should be clearly written at top-right in the margin.
- *Format is free. Or the format attached is available.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.Brief description of previous research and future research plans (within two A4-size pages)
- 4.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor. (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 5.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
* You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Applications will be accepted until the positions are filled.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interviews.
Start of employment
May 1, 2021 or later
- *We do not answer to questions regarding contents of the examination.
- *Please understand that we will not return application documents.
Updated as of Jul 8, 2021: "List of participating laboratories"
Contact Information / Send application to
Send application materials (PDF format) to Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
The Email title should be: “[CPR-PS2002] Application for (name of the position) of Prediction Science Laboratory".
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact da-team-desk [at] ml.riken.jp (Dr. Miyoshi, Prediction Science Laboratory)