Seeking a few Senior Research Scientists , Research Scientists or Postdoctoral Researchers (NE2001)
The Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (BDR) views the functions of molecules, cells, and organs that support all life stages of organisms as a dynamic system, and aims to elucidate developmental, growth and aging phenomena as well as apply their findings to develop regenerative medicine and diagnostics, thereby contributing to the extension of healthy life expectancies.
The Laboratory for Neuroepitranscriptomics is recruiting research employees to carry out a new theme. The research overview of the laboratory is shown below.
In our laboratory, we investigate a novel spatiotemporal regulation mechanism of RNA in the central nervous system, epitranscriptomics. This new field concerning genetic deciphering based on the type- and site-specific RNA modifications, has recently emerged as a versatile and powerful post-transcriptional regulatory pathway in the central nervous system; nonetheless, its biological functions remain to be explored. We use a combination of quantitative “omics” technology, fluorescence imaging, cell biology, and genetic animal model systems to decipher the regulation mechanisms and molecular pathways in understanding this complex layer of gene regulation. This knowledge will be applied to understanding cognitive development and decline, and neurological conditions such as autism and schizophrenia.
Job title and Job description
Senior Research Scientist, Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher
Position-specific tasks are as follows:
- Senior Research Scientist
- Assist the leader of their team or unit, provide instruction to researchers or other members and carry out the research in the team/unit.
- Research Scientist
- Carry out research and other work in accordance with research themes of the team/unit.
- Postdoctoral Researcher
- Carries out research and other work in accordance with laboratory research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
Number of positions
A few positions
We are now recruiting a person with Ph.D. or equivalent degree who will work to understand the role of RNA modification during brain development and aging using mouse systems. A candidate with training in RNA biology and/or neurobiology will be considered.
Common to all positions
A person who is able to dedicate themselves to the job by communicating, coordinating and collaborating smoothly with people in and out of the laboratory.
Senior Research Scientist
A PhD holder in the area related to the Job description, with more than 5 years of experience in working in the area after obtaining PhD, and is able to provide direction to other members.
A PhD holder in the area related to the Job description.
A PhD holder who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years in the area related to the Job description.
Kyoto University, Yoshida Campus
Yoshida-honmachi, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto-shi, Kyoto 606-8501
Scheduled to move to the following address in autumn, 2021:
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Kobe Campus-East-West)
2-2-3 Minatojima-minamimachi, Chuo-ku, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0047 (Developmental Biology Buildings)
Salary and benefits
- 1.(Senior Research Scientist or Research Scientist) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to the end of the fiscal year exceeding 7 years since the initial date of hire.
- 2.(Postdoctoral Researcher) One-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up to 5 years since the initial date of hire.
- 3.However, the contract renewable period may be changed on the basis of the employee’s abilities, work load, performance, work attitude, continuation of the center, laboratory or project in which the employee is involved, and on the basis of RIKEN’s finance situation and budget condition at the time. In principle, no contract renewal will be made for people 66 years old or older.
- 4.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before the fiscal year 2003, and eligible for applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Curriculum vitaeor Curriculum vitae
- *Email address is required.
- *Application Number [NE2001] and position to apply（e.g.: Research Scientist） should be clearly written at top-right in the margin.
- *Format is free. Or the format attached is available.
- 2.List of publications (Please categorize : Original article, Review article, Book, Conference presentation, Others)
- 3.Summary of past research and the result (about 2 pages of A4 paper)
- 4.Plans for the future research once appointed (about 1 page of A4 paper)
- 5.Acquisition of competitive external funds (e.g. Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research) (Please write: Representative, Contribution)
- 6.Three reference letter from immediate manager or current supervisor
- *If it is difficult to obtain reference letter from immediate manager or current supervisor, please obtain a letter from a third party.
- *A reference letter should be addressed to [Center Director, Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research]
- 7.Certificate of degree awarded, Certificate of graduation from the last school, diploma(copy) or graduation certificate from the last school (copy)
- 8.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
*Please understand that we will not return application documents.
We will examine application documents as they are accepted. Application will be closed as soon as the position is filled.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interview. After documents screening, only successful applicants will be invited for interview.
*We do not answer to questions regarding contents of the examination.
Start of Employment
As soon as possible (Negotiable)
Contact information and Send application to
Send application materials (PDF format) to Email: kobe-jobs [at] riken.jp
The Email title should be: “[NE2001] Application for (name of the position) of laboratory name”.
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact ohtan [at] riken.jp (Laboratory for Neuroepitranscriptomics, Dr. Wang, Dan Ohtan)
Updated as of Sep 29, 2021: "Number of positions"