Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (W21028)
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing (RQC) is aim to study quantum information theory, develop techniques for quantum control and measurement, build quantum computing hardware and software, and explore novel quantum technologies. We will promote the progress of quantum information science and contribute to society through the application of quantum technologies.
Our team is working on quantum information processing techniques using hybrid quantum systems consisting of superconducting quantum circuits. In order to overcome the unavoidable errors caused by analog control and decoherence, it is important to realize quantum error correction by combining feedback with measurements and relaxation in a quantum computer. We aim to develop systems with long coherence, such as superconducting circuits and trapped electrons, and to control these systems with high precision by means of superconducting quantum circuits, to make quantum systems free from finite errors and lifetimes through quantum error correction.
In order to promote this research, we are looking for experienced and highly qualified researchers and postdoctoral fellows who are involved in experimental research in quantum electronics, quantum information science, microwave circuits and cryogenic technologies.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Hybrid Quantum Circuits Research Team
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist: a few positions
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those who obtained a doctoral degree within the last 5 years.
Research Scientist is defined as those who obtained a doctoral degree more than 5 years ago.
*The type of position will be decided based on applicant's ability, aptitude etc.
The successful applicant will work on the development of hybrid quantum systems with superconducting circuits and quantum error correction.
Applicants must have a doctoral degree (or expect to receive a doctoral degree before the start of employment). Applicants for Postdoctoral Researcher should have less than 5 years of post-doctoral research experience.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up until March 31, 2025
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.In principle, the Center will be in place until March 31, 2025. This is until the end of the mid-term target period. If it is decided to continue into the next mid-term target period, the limit of the employment duration may be extended.
- 5.For Research Scientist: employment may be terminated at 5 years from the date of hire, depending on the results of evaluation conducted during the fourth year of the employment.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai). This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible to apply for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
- *Write the open call ID “W21028, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.Brief description of previous research and future research plans (For Postdoctoral Researcher: approximately three A4-size pages. For Research Scientist: approximately five A4-size pages).
- 4.1 letter of recommendation from the current supervisor
(If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- 5.For Postdoctoral Researcher: Copies of up to three major papers
For Research Scientist: Copies of up to five major paper
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please send inquiries to the contact address listed below, and send the PDF formatted application by email to the same address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling personal data
Application screening and interview for selected applicants
Start of Employment
At the earliest possible time (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Hybrid Quantum Circuits Research Team,
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: atsushi.noguchi [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.