Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (W21044)
The Center for Advanced Intelligence Project has been launched with subsidy from Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology-Japan for “Advanced Integrated Intelligence Platform Project (AIP) -Artificial Intelligence/ Big Data/ Internet of Things/ Cybersecurity-”.
The Center conducts fundamental theoretical research and develops an innovative technology, with aiming to advance science and contribute to society or humanity.
This Center is a project with a maximum of 10 years from FY 2016.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Geoinformatics Unit | RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Job title and job description
Job title, available positions
Opening for Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher, one position
Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
Carries out research and other work in accordance with team research themes under the direction of supervisors. Basically defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
*The applicant will be assigned to an appropriate position based on his/her ability, aptitude, etc.
Geoinformatics Unit aims to develop intelligent systems that automatically extract map information, such as land cover labels and elevation models, from remote sensing images acquired by spaceborne and airborne sensors. Our work is motivated by applications in Earth observation in order to respond to global challenges, such as disaster management, environmental assessment, and food security. The successful candidate is expected to develop algorithms of weakly- and self-supervised learning, transfer learning, and/or AutoML for global high-resolution land cover mapping (semantic segmentation), 3D reconstruction, and 3D semantic change detection. We welcome candidates with experiences and expertise in deep learning, 3D vision, and SAR signal processing.
- must have a Ph.D. or expect to receive a Ph.D. before the date of employment in computer vision, machine learning, pattern recognition, signal processing or a related field.
- must be proactive, cooperative, flexible, and able to respond according to the circumstances.
- must also have good communication skills and be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel within/outside of the laboratory to fulfill the tasks.
Branch and address
RIKEN AIP Center on Kashiwa campus, The University of Tokyo
(5-1-5 Kashiwanoha, Kashiwa, Chiba)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A maximum three-year, fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation. The employment duration will not exceed the end of fiscal year (March 31) in which the employee completes 7 years of employment. (Maximum employment duration for a Postdoctoral Researcher is 5 years).
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
Write the RIKEN job ad number “W21044”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of publications: Circle titles of three major papers in the list.
- 3.Photocopies of three major research papers.
- 4.Two different letters of recommendation including one by the current supervisor
- If you cannot obtain a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor, the same document issued by a third party is acceptable.
- Letters of recommendation must be addressed to:Director of RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project Stamp or signature by referee is necessary.
- Referees must directly send letters of recommendation 1) by postal mail to the address below after sealing, or 2) by email attached with a letter of recommendation with stamp or signature in PDF format, to the address below.
- 5.Research in the past and research plan (3 pages in A4 size)
Your research plan must include outcome expected within a few years from your appointment.
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Applicants must contact the Center for Advanced Intelligence Project before they submit the required documents in PDF format by Email to the bellow Email address.
Please use the subject line “W21044_your name_the position that you are applying for” when you apply. (Example “W21044_Hanako Riken_ Postdoctoral Researcher”)
Also, the document names for the letters of recommendation must be “Letter of recommendation_your name.” (Example: Letter of recommendation_Hanako Riken). You need to ask your referees to use this document name for the letter.
Application documents will not be returned.
No information can be released regarding application status or evaluation details prior to, during, or after the evaluation process.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants.
Start of employment
As early as possible
Contact Information / Send application to
RIKEN Center for Advanced Intelligence Project
Nihonbashi 1-chome Mitsui Building, 15th floor,
1-4-1 Nihonbashi, Chuo-ku, Tokyo 103-0027, Japan
Email: aip-hr [at] ml.riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.