Seeking a Research Part-time WorkerⅠor Ⅱ (W21056)
Floating-Electron-Based Quantum Information RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing
(Laboratory head: Erika Kawakami)
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing (RQC) aims to study quantum information theory, develop techniques for quantum control and measurement, build quantum computing hardware and software, and explore novel quantum technologies. We promote the progress of quantum information science and contribute to society through the application of quantum technologies.
Our team is working on the application of the physical system called electrons on helium to quantum information. Electrons on helium is a unique clean physical system to realize qubits with. We also work on the technological development required for large-scale quantum computation.
For more information, please refer to website:
- Floating-Electron-Based Quantum Information RIKEN Hakubi Research Team's Website
- Floating-Electron-Based Quantum Information RIKEN Hakubi Research Team
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
One opening for Part-time Worker
We are looking for a part-time worker to assist the research such as
- cleaning of the experimental tools and preparation for device-fabrication,
- purchase/disposal of chemicals and consumable items, and
- support for low-temperature experiments.
- The successful candidate for Part Timer I should possess a doctoral degree or should have knowledge equivalent to a doctoral degree.
- The successful candidate for Part Timer II should possess a master degree, should be currently enrolled in a master course, or should have excellent scientific or technical knowledge.
The successful candidate should:
- have good communication skills in English,
- be able to cooperate with the relevant personnel within/outside of the laboratory to fulfill the tasks,
- have the ability to use PC, and
- preferably have experience in nano-fabrication or electronic circuit design.
We welcome experienced and inexperienced people.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- Part TimerII: 1,100-1,300JPY
- Part Timer I: 1,400-1,600JPY
The category of Part-time Staff is based on RIKEN regulations, with consideration given to the skills and experience of the candidate
Commuting allowance: provided (within a pre-determined range)
Terms of contract
The initial contract will be from hiring date until March 31, 2022.
- A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on the agreement of both parties, to a maximum of five years from the date of hire.
- RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time.
- The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 5 years from the initial date of hire (or 5 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date. However, employees who have previously worked at RIKEN may be subject to different rules on period of fixed-term employment. Please refer “RIKEN employment duration for fixed-term employees” for more details if necessary.).
2-5 days per week
The work hours shall be one of the following, with the total time not to exceed 35 hours/week.
- 2.Set hours between 9:00 and 17:00, in one-hour units.
(Working days and hours are negotiable. However, daily working hours cannot be shifted for different days.)
Saturdays and Sundays, Japanese national holidays, New Year holidays (Dec.29-Jan.3), and RIKEN Foundation Day (4th Monday in October).
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance applies. Social insurance will be applied depending on the working conditions.
- RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute.
- No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
- Other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV
*Write the RIKEN job ad number “W21056”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.Research statement (summary of research and motivation letter)
- 4.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Please send inquiries to the contact address listed below, and send the PDF formatted application by email to the same address.
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening, interview and oral presentation by selected applicants
Start of Employment
At the earliest possible time (negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Floating-Electron-Based Quantum Information RIKEN Hakubi Research Team, RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Tel: +81 (0) 48-467-9430
Email: erika.kawakami [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of Aug 10, 2021: "Research Field" and "Qualification".