Seeking a Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher (W21066)
Semiconductor Quantum Information Device Theory Research Team,
RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing
(Laboratory head: Daniel Loss)
Our team is working on the theory of a spin-based quantum computer. We design its CMOS-compatible components deriving from Si and Ge gated quantum dots. We focus on spin qubits that can be manipulated by electric fields through various spin-orbit interactions. Using advanced band-structure models, we investigate the properties of holes and electrons confined in low-dimensional geometries. We search for optimal setups and ways of protecting the qubits from noise. We analyze perspective qubit interconnects which would allow assembling a large number of qubits into networks. Our ultimate goal is to identify fast, small, and scalable elements of the future quantum computer.
Job title and Job description
Job title, available positions
Research Scientist or Postdoctoral Researcher: 1 position
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those who obtained a doctoral degree within the last 5 years.
Research Scientist is defined as those who obtained a doctoral degree more than 5 years ago.
*The type of position will be decided based on applicant's ability, aptitude etc.
The post-doc will join ongoing activities on quantum information processing in the solid state as well as spin and phase coherent phenomena in semiconducting and magnetic nanostructures. Topics of current interest include: spin qubits, quantum dots, spin-based quantum information processing in semiconductor nanostructures, especially in silicon, band-structure calculations, spin-orbit interaction effects, decoherence phenomena in semiconductors, many-body effects in low-dimensional electronic systems, etc.
The stimulating environment of the newly established RIKEN Center for Quantum Computing offers many opportunities of interactions with experimental and theoretical groups with related interests. The new Postdoctoral Researcher could also benefit from collaborations with theoretical groups at the University of Basel, Switzerland.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in theoretical Condensed Matter Physics. (or expect to receive a doctoral degree before the start of employment).
They must be able to read, write, and speak fluently in English.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, up until March 31, 2025.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.In principle, the Center will be in place until March 31, 2025. This is until the end of the mid-term target period. If it is decided to continue into the next mid-term target period, the limit of the employment duration may be extended.
- 5.For Research Scientist: employment may be terminated at 5 years from the date of hire, depending on the results of evaluation conducted during the fourth year of the employment.
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV
- *Write the RIKEN job ad number "W21066", indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in the RIKEN job ad number section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievement and publications
- 3.Brief description of previous research and future research plans (For Postdoctoral Researcher: approximately three A4-size pages. For Research Scientist: approximately five A4-size pages).
- 4.A letter of recommendation from the current supervisor (If unavailable, a letter from a substitute reference will be acceptable.)
- 5.For Postdoctoral Researcher: Copies of up to three major papers
For Research Scientist: Copies of up to five major paper
- 6.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
"Application documents should be uploaded through Academic Jobs Online
"Screening of complete application files will start Autust 1, 2021, and the position will saty open until a suitable candidate is found.
Handling Personal Data
Candidates will be selected based on research results, publications, and letters of recommendation Selected candedates will be invited for an interview. The starting date is negotiable and the position will saty open until a suitable candidate is found.
Start of Employment
Negotiable. We are interested to fill the position as soon as possible.
Semiconductor Quantum Information Device Theory Research Team, Center for Quantum Computing,
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: loss.daniel [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.
Updated as of Jun 7, 2021: "How to apply", "Deadline", "Selection process" and "Start of Employment"