Seeking Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist (W21082)
Our team works on the quantum theory of condensed matter with a focus on spin and topological phenomena in semiconducting and magnetic nanostructures. In particular, we investigate novel mechanisms and seek new platforms hosting topological or spin phases in solid-state systems, including helical spin texture, topological insulators and topological superconductors, which have potential hosting topological quantum states, such as Majorana fermions and parafermions. Moreover, we also investigate (quasi-)one-dimensional Tomonaga-Luttinger liquid, nuclear spins in semiconductors, many-body effects in low-dimensional systems, (fractional) quantum Hall effect, strongly correlated electron systems, spin-orbit interaction, and quantum transport phenomena.
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist: 2 positions
Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
*Job judgment will be decided and decided based on applicant's ability, aptitude etc.
The post-doc will join ongoing activities on spin and phase coherent phenomena in semiconducting and magnetic nanostructures, as well as quantum information processing in the solid state. Topics of current interest include: many-body effects in low-dimensional electronic systems, nuclear magnetism, quantum transport of magnetization, topological quantum matter, topological superconductivity, topological insulators, Majorana fermions and parafermions, decoherence phenomena in semiconductors, hybrid systems, Floquet systems, optical effects, etc.
The stimulating environment of the established RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science offers many opportunities of interactions with experimental and theoretical groups with related interests. The new Postdoctoral Researcher could also benefit from collaborations with theoretical groups at the University of Basel, Switzerland.
Applicants must have a Ph.D. in theoretical Condensed Matter Physics. (or expect to receive a doctoral degree before the start of employment).
They must be able to read, write, and speak fluently in English.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 10 years (Research Scientist) or 5 years (Postdoctoral Researcher) of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5.When the Employee's research is scheduled for review in the Employee's 5 years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied.
Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
Complete CV or CV (with photo and email address)
*Write the open call ID “W21081”, indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.Brief description of previous research and future research plans (For Postdoctoral Researcher: approximately three A4-size pages. For Research Scientist: approximately five A4-size pages)
- 4.Contact information of two persons willing to provide a reference (one of them should be your PhD supervisor)
- 5.For Postdoctoral Researcher: Copies of up to three major papers
For Research Scientist: Copies of up to five major paper
Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Application documents should be uploaded through Academic Jobs Online
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Screening of complete application files will start October 1, 2021, and will continue until the position is filled.
Handling personal data
Candidates will be selected based on research results, publications, and letters of recommendation. Selected candidates will be invited for an interview. The starting date is April 2022 and the positions will stay open until a suitable candidate is found.
Start of Employment
Contact Information / Send application to
Quantum System Theory Research Team, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: loss.daniel [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.