Seeking a Research Scientist or/and Postdoctoral Researcher (ADVNMR2104)
Laboratory for Advanced NMR Application and Development
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research
(Team Leader: Yoshitaka ISHII)
The Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (BDR) views the functions of molecules, cells, and organs that support all life stages of organisms as a dynamic system, and aims to elucidate developmental, growth and aging phenomena as well as apply their findings to develop regenerative medicine and diagnostics, thereby contributing to the extension of healthy life expectancies
The Laboratory for Advanced NMR Application and Development (Advanced NMR Lab) is recruiting research/technical employees to carry out a new theme.
The research overview of the laboratory:
Based at the internationally renowned NMR research center at the RIKEN Yokohama Campus, we develop world-leading high-field NMR methodologies and conduct advanced application research. In particular, we will work on development of NMR methods to elucidate the structures and functions of biomolecules such as amyloid proteins, RNA, and nano-biomaterials, which are difficult to analyze using conventional structural biology methods. We also develop advanced NMR methods suited for ultra-high-field NMR magnets that are under development at RIKEN as part of a JST-MIRAI project. It is also within our scope to explore novel NMR applications and NMR analysis integrated with electron microscopy and other methods.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Laboratory for Advanced NMR Application and Development
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher / Research Scientist
Position-specific tasks are as follows:
Research Scientist: Carries out research and other work in accordance with research themes of the team.
Postdoctoral Researcher: Carries out research and other work in accordance with laboratory research themes under the mentorship and training of supervisors.
Number of positions
The name of the external fund/project: “Development of ultra-high-field SSNMR methods and novel applications,” (-2023/3/31) which is one of the subprojects under Japan Science Technology Agency (JST) project "JST-MIRAI" (-2024/3/31).
We are looking for excellent candidates with expertise in solid-state NMR (SSNMR) for projects on development of SSNMR methods for ultra-high-field and novel applications of these methods to biomolecules and other systems.
This subproject belongs to a project funded by JST. Within this subproject, we are exploring applications of ultra-fast magic angle spinning and applications for amyloid proteins and other systems. The successful candidates will be also involved in other projects associated with activities of the Advanced NMR Lab at Yokohama RIKEN.
Common to all positions
A person who is able to dedicate themselves to the job by communicating, coordinating and collaborating smoothly with people in and out of the laboratory.
Fluent verbal and written communication skills in English are prerequisite.
A PhD holder in the area related to the Job description.
The work experience in the area related to the Job description for two years or more is desirable.
A PhD holder who earned a doctorate within the past 5 years in the area related to the Job description.
RIKEN Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research (Yokohama Campus)
1-7-22 Suehiro-cho, Tsurumi-ku, Yokohama-shi, Kanagawa 230-0045 Japan
Salary and benefits
Research Scientist / Postdoctoral Researcher
- 1. A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum of the end of March 2023 since the initial date of hire.
- 2. However, the contract renewable period may be changed on the basis of the employee’s abilities, work load, performance, work attitude, continuation of the center, laboratory or project in which the employee is involved, and on the basis of RIKEN’s finance situation and budget condition at the time. In principle, no contract renewal will be made for people 66 years old or older.
- 3. The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Commuting and housing allowances will be provided.
Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
These positions fall under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Saturdays and Sundays, Japanese national holidays, New Year holidays (Dec.29-Jan.3), and RIKEN Foundation Day (4th Monday in October).
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is promoting a Gender Equality Program by taking various measures to create a workplace where both men and women are able to give full rein to their talents and abilities. When applicants are judged to be equally qualified on the basis of fair and impartial criteria, women applicants will be given preference.
Research Scientist and Postdoctoral Researcher are eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before the fiscal year 2003.
Application and required documents
- 1.Curriculum vitae or Curriculum vitae
- -Email address is required.
- -Application Number [ADVNMR2104] and position to apply（e.g.：Research Scientist）should be clearly written at top-right in the margin.
- -Using the RIKEN format above is appreciated.
- 2.List of publications (Please categorize: Original article, Review article, Book, Conference presentation, Others)
- 3.Summary of past research and the result (about 2 pages of A4 paper)
- 4.Plans for the future research once appointed (about 1 page of A4 paper)
- 5.Acquisition of competitive external funds (e.g. Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research)
(Please write: Representative, Contribution)
- 6.One reference letter from immediate manager or current supervisor
- *The signature (or seal) of the person providing the recommendation is required. In the case of scanned or digital signature or an email letter of recommendation, please be sure to include contact information.
- *If it is difficult to obtain reference letter from immediate manager or current supervisor, please obtain a letter from a third party.
- *A reference letter should be addressed to the “Center Director, Center for Biosystems Dynamics Research".
- *If the person providing the recommendation will send the letter directly, please send it to the address indicated in "Contact Information" below.
- 7.Certificate of degree awarded / PhD degree diploma (copy)
- 8.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
Until the position is filled
*Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Handling Personal Data
Selection will be made based on application screening and interview. After documents screening, only successful applicants will be invited for interview. (remote or on site)
*We do not answer to questions regarding contents of the examination.
Start of Employment
As soon as possible (Negotiable)
Contact information and Send application to
Send application materials (PDF format) to Email: nmr-recruit [at] ml.riken.jp
The Email title should be: "[ADVNMR2104] Application for (name of the position) of laboratory name."
*If you have any research-related questions, please contact yoshitaka.ishii [at] riken.jp
(Laboratory for Advanced NMR Application and Development, Dr. Yoshitaka ISHII)
Updated as of Jul 9, 2021: "Contact information and Send application to"