Seeking a Postdoctoral Researcher or Researcher (W21133)
The aim of this unit is to unleash the potential of molecules by controlling their assembly and arrangement patterns, and to create novel functions that are impossible to achieve with single molecules. Our specific research themes are as follows.
- (1)Creation of materials by precise arrangement of topological bonds: By periodically arranging topological bonds such as catenanes, we will realize new materials.
- (2)Sequence control in supramolecular polymerization: In supramolecular polymerization, it is still challenging to control the monomer sequence, so we are trying to control the sequence in coordination polymers.
For more information, please refer to the following webpage:
Emergent Molecular Assembly Research Unit
Job title and Job description
Postdoctoral Researcher or Research Scientist 1 positions.
- Postdoctoral Researcher is defined as those with a doctoral degree of 5 years or less.
- Research Scientist is defined as those with a doctoral degree more than 5 years.
*Job judgment will be decided and decided based on applicant's ability, aptitude etc.
A wide range of research related to the synthesis of functional materials based on material synthesis, such as organic synthesis and coordination complex synthesis, and the development of novel functions based on molecular assembly. Research for the development of functional materials based on chemical synthesis, research topics that match the applicant's background and skills are also acceptable. We accept applications from researchers with a wide range of expertise, including synthetic organic chemistry, coordination chemistry, supramolecular chemistry, polymer chemistry, and material sciences.
The candidate should possess a doctoral degree from the chemistry-related fields. Or the candidate will be able to obtain a doctoral degree in the chemistry-related fields before the work start date. Experience of post-doctoral research must be less than 5 years.
Branch and address
RIKEN Wako (2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198)
Salary and benefits
- 1.A one-year fixed-term employment contract, renewable based on evaluation, to a maximum 10 years (Research Scientist) or to a maximum 5 years (Postdoctoral Researcher) of employment.
- 2.RIKEN may adjust the above maximum period of renewability based on a) the employee’s abilities, work load at the time of contract completion, performance and work attitude and b) the continuation of the employee’s center, laboratory or project and RIKEN’s management situation and budget at the time. In principle, employment contracts will not be renewed for individuals older than 65 years.
- 3.The employee’s period of fixed-term employment cannot exceed 10 years from the initial date of hire (or 10 years from April 1, 2013 for fixed-term employees already at RIKEN prior to this date).
- 4.When the center to which the Employee is affiliated is scheduled for a final review in FY2024 and it is decided that the Employee's research will not be continued, the provision given above for projects of limited duration applies and the Employee's contract will not be renewed for the FY2025 year that would extend employment beyond the center's final fiscal year.
- 5.For Research Scientist : When the Employee’s research is scheduled to be reviewed in the Employee's 5years from the original date of hire at CEMS, and when it is concluded that there is reason* to believe it will be difficult for the research (or technology development) to be continued, the employment contract will not be renewed for the next year. (*The reason may relate to the Employee's abilities, performance and/or work attitude.)
In principle, the first two months of employment is considered a trial period.
Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Discretionary work,commuting and housing allowances will be provided. Social insurance will be applied. Mandatory membership in the RIKEN Mutual Benefit Society (RIKEN Kyosaikai).
This position falls under the specialized duties discretionary work system; one working day will be calculated as 7 hours and 30 minutes.
Days off include public holidays, New Year's holidays (Dec. 29 - Jan 3), and RIKEN Foundation Day.
RIKEN has introduced telework as a temporary and special measure to prevent the spread of COVID-19. You may be asked to work from home according to the instructions of the institute. You can also choose to work from home with the permission of your supervisor.
No smoking on site (designated smoking areas available).
These and other provisions are in accordance with RIKEN regulations.
RIKEN is actively undertaking initiatives to promote gender equality and diversity, and moving forward with the establishment of a diverse and vibrant research environment. If multiple candidates are found to have the same aptitude following a fair assessment, active efforts will be made to recruit female candidates.
Also, eligible for an exemption from repayment for category 1 scholarship loans provided by the Japan Student Services Organization before fiscal year 2003, and eligible applying for the MEXT Grants-in-Aid for Scientific Research (Kakenhi).
Application and required documents
- 1.Complete CV or CV (with photograph and email address)
- *Write the open call ID "W21133", indicated in the parentheses next to the job title, in open call ID section in the upper right corner of your CV.
- *Write down in the notes section of your CV the number written next to the title of the job position (e.g. W21133).
- 2.List of research achievements and publications
- 3.Your five major papers (no more than five)
- 4.Summary of the achievements and research proposal for future (Two pages of A4 sheets)
- 5.Name, affiliation, title, phone number, email address of the recommender and two references
- 6.A letter of recommendation including one from the current supervisor
(If the current supervisor’s recommendation is not available, a recommendation letter from a third party will be accepted)
- 7.Contact information to which the result will be informed (email address or address)
- 8.Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR
If you are a resident of the European Economic Area (EEA), you are required to submit the document, "Consent form for handling personal information based on GDPR" with your signature.
*You will find detailed information about General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) on the following website:
Data protection | European Commission
How to apply
Send the PDF formatted application by email to hiroshi.sato [at] riken.jp
(Recommendation letters must be emailed directly from the reference to hiroshi.sato [at] riken.jp)
Note: Application documents will not be returned.
Open until the position is filled
Handling Personal Data
Application screening and interview (online or onsite) for selected applicants.
Start of Employment
As early as possible after November 1, 2021 (Negotiable)
Contact Information / Send application to
Emergent Molecular Assembly Research Unit, RIKEN Center for Emergent Matter Science
Unit Leader: Dr. Hiroshi Sato
2-1 Hirosawa, Wako, Saitama 351-0198
Email: hiroshi.sato [at] riken.jp
For inquiries, please send an email.